If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
katie

profile evaluation

by katie Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:10 am

Can someone please let me know if you think I have a chance at one of these schools: Harvard, Stanford, MIT, UChic, Yale?

Female, Asian American, 3.1 GPA at Stern undergrad majoring in Finance and Marketing, 720 on GMAT (49 Q, 39 V).

Work exp: 3 yrs at consumer marketing dept in the largest publishing firm. Managed to overcome initial manager's poor review and win a marketing acheivement award/promotion.

Extracurriculars: co-chair at young professionals group for non-profit org, project manager for non-profit consultancy work, tutor for Harvard Tutorial Program for high school students, treasurer of Fashion Business Association at NYU.

Others: interesting life story - parents are high-school dropouts, sent to live with aunt. studied classical piano for 12 yrs, directed a documentary for college project, pursuing MBA to become an entrepreneur of a women's apparel start-up

Thanks for your input!!!
MBAApply

by MBAApply Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:36 pm

In short, your profile is strong enough to warrant at least giving the schools you listed a shot. In other words, someone like you wouldn't be out of place at any of the schools you mentioned.

Your GPA won't be an issue at Chicago, Sloan or Yale - but at HBS and Stanford, the folks who get in tend to have higher GPAs than those at other schools (not a function of HBS/Stanford preferring high GPAs, but the fact that these schools can afford to be more picky).

Practically speaking, focus on putting together a strong application conveying the fact that you're a well-rounded person with a lot of interesting experiences and perspectives to offer, and you should be competitive.

Good luck

Alex
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com
katie

by katie Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:41 pm

Just wanted to give others with low gpa hope - received my first interview invite from HBS the other day!

Proves that a lot of weight is given to how you present your story in your essays.
MBAApply

by MBAApply Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:08 am

That's great news! Good luck on the interview!

Alex
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com
jingy

by jingy Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:27 pm

that is awesome katie! Go nail that interview! I too am struggling with a low GPA, much lower than yours in fact. But I feel I have other attributes and perspectives that I can offer from my life experiences that will hopefully make me competitive. Good luck to you and keep us posted!
katie

update

by katie Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:28 pm

Ended up only applying to stanford, chicago and hbs. In at Uchicago and still waiting for HBS' decision next week...will keep you all posted.