If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
GarrettW161
Course Students

Profile Evaluation Request

by GarrettW161 Tue May 19, 2015 9:09 pm

I am looking to apply to top non-HSW schools next year, and am wondering what my chances are to get into these schools. Further, I am wondering what I can do to bolster my applicant profile in the meantime.

Stretch schools: Dartmouth, Northwestern
Target schools: Yale, Michigan
Safety schools: Georgetown, University of Minnesota

Demographic: Caucasian male
Undergrad: Non-target, liberal arts school in Midwest
Major: Business Administration, Concentration: Finance
Undergrad GPA: 3.68/4.00
Undergrad Experience: Vice President of student finance/business club; was previously Director of Accounting for same organization; ; Corporate Finance tutor; freshman resident assistant
GMAT: Targeting 700 - 720. Shooting for only 45/46 on quant, as verbal is clearly my strength.
Work Experience: Will have 3+ years at Wells Fargo (Los Angeles) in corporate banking with two promotions; I work in a group that specializes in financing private equity transactions. I am currently planning to spend one year in Central America working as a volunteer teacher for a non-profit
Post-graduation Goal: Work in investment banking for 2-4 years, using that M&A experience as a platform to work in corporate development for F1000-type company. In addition, would like to serve on the board of at least one non-profit.

I expect that my letters of recommendation will be strong.

One of my concerns is that my experience in Central America will seem random, though I can assure you that it is not. My soon-to-be wife and I have a strong commitment and connection to the non-profit that I (we) will be volunteering at, and I hope to remain connected in a leadership capacity following business school. Do you have thoughts on how business schools will perceive this?

Thanks for the insight!
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Profile Evaluation Request

by mbaMissionKate Thu May 21, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi there! Thanks for sharing your profile.

I see a lot of strengths in your profile :)...great GPA, plus a foundation in business coursework in undergrad, strong progression at Wells Fargo, plus exposure to the private equity space may give you a slight edge since so many of your classmates will be interested in pursuing that field. I actually think your leadership and commitment to the non-profit is a strength too and something that b-schools will value, particuarly ones like Tuck and Kellogg that put a very strong emphasis on leadership and community involvement. Now I do think you'll need to tell a really crisp/compelling story about why it made sense for you to take that year in Central America and how it fits in to your long-term career aspirations. I would imagine that the decision to do so could be a central theme of your essays once it comes time, plus you'll likely have some good examples of adapting to a new culture and making a difference in the community which should make for some interesting stories! To sum up, I think as long as you can explain that it's not random, then b-schools will be fine with it. It may even help to differentiate you from the typical applicant.

The GMAT is really the only unknown / potential weak point. So if you don't reach your target score on the first attempt, then be open to retaking, which can never hurt. I'd aim for a 46 on Quant to be safe.

My only other piece of advice would be to start researching and engaging with your list of schools. I think the ones you list are appropriate and I like that you have a range from stretch to safety. Always smart to diversify your risk! See if you can talk to current students / alums, maybe visit some campuses before you leave the country, and try to really understand what each school is about. I think that will pay off for you when it comes time to write your essays and answer questions about why a particular school is right for you.

Good luck and please keep us posted if we can help or answer any more questions!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
GarrettW161
Course Students

by GarrettW161 Thu May 21, 2015 6:35 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful input! It is helpful. I will be sure to reach out if I have further questions.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Sat May 23, 2015 10:39 am

Happy to help! Good luck to you!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
KakakkdeK400
Prospective Students

by KakakkdeK400 Mon May 25, 2015 10:32 am

Thank you informed me.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Tue May 26, 2015 12:22 pm

Glad to hear this information was helpful!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com