If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
DanielT622
Course Students

Profile Evaluation Request

by DanielT622 Thu May 14, 2015 4:23 pm

I am looking to apply to a Top 5 MBA program in 2 years, and was wondering what my chances are at the top 3 schools (i.e. Stanford, Harvard, Wharton) based on my profile:

Undergrad: University of Michigan Ross School of Business
Major: Business Administration, Concentration: Finance & Strategy
Undergrad GPA: 3.759/4.000
Undergrad Experience: President of top consulting club; Member of investment club
GMAT: 720, 94th percentile (Q46; 66th percentile, V44; 98th percentile), AWA - 6 (92nd percentile), IR - 7 (81st percentile)
Work Experience: will be 2+ years at a top strategy consulting firm in New York City

I will most likely not take the GMAT again, but am still considering it to boost my Quant score. What are my chances at a top 3 or top 5 program? What should I be focusing on to boost my chances the most over the next couple of years?

Thank you for your advice!
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Profile Evaluation Request

by mbaMissionKate Sat May 16, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi there! Thanks for your post.

Looks like you've got a lot of strengths in your profile :) like your GPA and foundation in business coursework, your GMAT, your experience at a top consulting firm.

I don't think retaking the GMAT is all that necessary but it can't hurt if you feel up for giving it another shot before you apply. I think because of your high GPA (and I'm assuming you did well in Quant classes) plus the fact that you're coming from strategy consulting, that having a Quant score that's not super high is not a big concern. And it's definitely high enough to demonstrate you can handle MBA courses. Plus your overall score is pretty close to the average for the top programs.

There are a few things I'd advise you to be thinking about...
1) Extracurriculars - are you involved with anything now? Activities in college are just not really weighted very heavily, so it'd be great if you had some more recent activities. I know this is hard for consultants, but maybe there are committees/volunteer opportunities at work? I've seen other consultants get involved in firm recruiting for example, or employee development / training.
2) School fit - I think you've got all the right stats to be targeting top programs but make sure you start doing your research early on about the different programs so you can understand how they're different and how you fit there. Talk to alums, visit campuses, attend prospective student events, etc...I think you'll find this kind of research now will really pay off when it comes time to completing your applications.
3) Differentiation - B-schools see lots of applicants from consulting firms so just be thinking about how you can stand out amongst your peers. This could come through really stellar recommendations, or leadership experience, international experience, or extracurriculars/interests outside of work.

I'd say given your profile now and the time you have to address these things above, you're a competitive applicant for top programs. Top 3 (HBS, Wharton, Stanford) are really stretches for anyone though! So seek to have a range of schools within the top 5-15 too that you'd be excited about.

Keep us posted if we can answer any more questions!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php