If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!

Profile evaluation, pleas

by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:32 pm

Hi, if an admissions consultant could review my profile, I would appreciate it.

Engineering background (probably sounds standard), 3.9+ GPA from Michigan (BS and MSE), currently working for a National Lab in the US. By the time I would like to start an MBA, I would have 4-5 years of experience here.

Extracurriculars include Make A Wish, mentoring students at Michigan, and ski patrol (basically providing outdoor first aid).

I am interested in working for some non-profit or 'socially responsible' venture (i.e. micro-lending, etc.) post-MBA, ideally with international opportunities.

What are my chances at:

1) Tier 1 (HBS, Stanford, Chicago, etc.)
2) Tier 2 (Haas, Darden)
3) International (LBS, HKUST)

Thanks!

by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:33 pm

Sorry, same as original poster. Forgot to mention GMAT 780...
MBAApply

by MBAApply Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:42 pm

In short, your profile is strong enough to at least give the Tier 1 schools a shot -- and to apply to 1 or 2 Tier 2 schools as a backup.

A lot of it comes down to how effective you are at conveying your leadership potential and critical thinking abilities in the essays and interviews. As an engineer, they know you can do numbers. Here's another way to look at it: the person with exceptional interpersonal/leadership/critical thinking skills but mediocre analytical/quant skills has a far better chance than the person with mediocre interpersonal/leadership/critical thinking skills but exceptional analytical/quant skills. And just be aware that many engineers tend to fall into the latter category. As an engineer, it's all about your "right brain" abilities when it comes to b-school admissions, particularly the top schools.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com