If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
ApoorvJ973
Students

Profile Evaluation - MS in Analytics

by ApoorvJ973 Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:41 pm

Hello,

I recently took the GMAT and TOEFL and my scores are as follows:
GMAT: 700 (Q 47, V 39, IR 4, AWA 5)
TOEFL: 112

I wish to apply to the MS in Business Analytics program in the US.

Currently, I am working in a reputed IT company in Bangalore, India as a QA Engineer and have completed 3 years here. Although my day to day work does not involve programming, I do possess some knowledge of the same. I also recently obtained a certification in R programming from Coursera. I also intend to take online MOOCs on statistics before starting the application process.
My performance in the company has been good which can be showcased by some performance awards, a promotion and good recommendations from my seniors/managers.

My academics are as follows:
Bachelor of Technology (Electrical and Electronics Engineering): 77% (1 backlog in 1st year in Math - cleared in first attempt)

I have been active in extra curricular activities. I was part of the some committees in my college and organised various events. I am active in sports, play the guitar, have trekked to numerous locations in India and was part of an NGO for an year.

I have shortlisted the following colleges offering the Analytics Program:

1. University of Southern California
2. Fordham University
3. Arizona State University
4. University of Connecticut
5. University of Minnesota
6. University of Cincinatti
7. University of Tennesse, Knoxville
8. University of Chicago
9. University of Virginia
10. University of San Fransisco
11. Lousiana State University

Kindly assist me by evaluating my profile and commenting on my prospects of making it into the above programs. Please also point out areas where my profile is weak.

Thank You,
Apoorv
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Evaluation - MS in Analytics

by mbamissionjenK Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi Apoorv,

Thanks for posting. So it sounds like your academic performance in the past is solid; GMAT is respectable but what you'll want to do is research the average GMAT scores at each specific Business Analytics program to see how competitive you are within that program's class profile. Sounds like you've had some recognition at work, and been involved in some activities which helps usually. I don't know a ton about the details of your work experience, so know that examples of analytical skills and leadership and people and project management generally help. And I'd say it will be important to really show WHY... why you feel this degree is right for you; why now; why each school. Beyond that our Personal Statement guide can be quite useful! It's available for free download at:
http://shop.mbamission.com/products/per ... ment-guide.

Good luck on the process!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php