If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
sandzp
Course Students

Profile evaluation - MD with GMAT of 620. Retake?

by sandzp Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Hi everybody. I am a 29 year old MD who is looking to apply to some top 20 US MBA programmes.

I have a 620 gmat (sat in april, 47q, 29v).

- English first language, EU passport. As I am sure you can tell, I focused mainly on studying for quant in my last GMAT attempt, as my verbal score reflects this.
- Indian male, born in Europe, grew up in the far east (Asia).
- Graduated undergrad medicine in 2010 with a 'pass' equivalent. No GPA in my school.
- Worked 2 years in the UK doing basic 'foundation training.'
- Took a year out and worked as a 'locum tenens' ER doctor for a year.
- Masters in clinical neuroscience (passed with distinction) from a top UK university. Was class representative for my master's program.
- Taught anatomy to medical students full-time for 8 months before starting my current research job.
- Currently working in clinical research at a renowned U.S. institution. I am leading my own research projects.
- Have one scientific paper pending publication (first author) and should have at least 3 more by the end of this year (all as first author).

I know my GMAT score is weak. Currently I am studying for my US medical licensing exams and I really cannot afford to take time out to resit the GMAT, as I have enough on my plate including my research job. I think my quant score is ok, and I have heard of medics getting into top programmes with 500-600's GMAT's but I have a feeling that these were 'special' cases (for example, one person I knew started a non-profit).

I was planning on applying to Haas, but I do not think I have a chance with my GMAT score. As I do not really want to resit the GMAT and I am not getting any younger, I am aiming for USC or UCLA (I like the west coast). I know there are some medically-oriented MBA programs, but I would prefer to go to somewhere with fewer medics.

I would appreciate if anybody could tell me whether they think I stand a realistic chance of getting into a top-20 U.S. school (more like in the 10th-20th range) with my current profile. If not, I may have to shelve the idea of getting my medical license in the US and start studying for the GMAT again.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile evaluation - MD with GMAT of 620. Retake?

by mbamissionjenK Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 am

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your profile. It sounds like you'd have some interesting life and work experiences to bring to the classroom along with strong academics from what I can tell. That said, schools are also very focused on leadership... not sure if you have strong examples along those lines? And the story of your goals and 'why' is important too, which I do not know based on the info here. The GMAT is well below the average at many of the schools you are interested in, so yes it could be tough. Not impossible but tough. Nowadays, the GMAT has changed some of the logistics-- you can now see your score and then decide to keep or cancel it, and cancellations are no longer reported. So no matter what I'd support a re-take just because there's not much to lose, even with fairly minimal prep, to see what you could be capable of. And with a score well below the averages there, schools would likely encourage that as well (vs appearing to 'give up' so to speak after one try). Good luck and keep us posted on how we can help!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php