If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
nitr.arun
Forum Guests

Profile Evaluation | Indian Male | IT | GMAT 700

by nitr.arun Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:00 pm

Hi Experts,

I plan to apply for MBA in European Business Schools this year.

I would like to have some input on my profile and my chances in getting into a program this year.

Below is my profile:

4 years WE in IT, Indian, Male

1. GMAT : 700 (QA=49, VA=36, IR=8, AWA= Awaiting result).
2. Educational Background :
- B. Tech in Electrical Engineering from a Top 15 Engineering College, CGPA = 8.02 (out of 10)
- 78 % in 12th boards
- 90 % in 10th boards
3. Work Experience-
- 4 years in IT Industry, working with US MNC.

- International experience: 5 and half months in London in 2013. During this period, I acted as Team Lead for 2 months. Team size was 3.

4. Extracurricular: Average
- School level -- Quizzing (Semi-finalist at national level quiz competition), Painting
- Undergraduate level -- Volunteer at the Tech Fest in my college.

5. MBA aspirations: Consulting related to technology
I am mainly targeting European B-Schools. Below is my B-school list ,
1. INSEAD
2. HEC
3. Said
4. Mannheim
5. University of St. Gallen

How good is the chance of being accepted at Oxford or HEC? I believe getting into INSEAD will be really tough for me now. Also, what are my chances at Mannheim and St. Gallen.

Could you please evaluate my profile and let me know my chances.

Thanks,
Arun
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Evaluation | Indian Male | IT | GMAT 700

by mbamissionjenK Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:08 pm

Hi Arun,

Thanks for posting. While your academics are strong, You are part of large applicant pool-- Indian IT and engineering/technical applicants, who often have high GMAT scores by the way. This applicant group tends to be great with the quant and analytical and technical portions of the application and of b-school, but the concern is whether they have strong leadership, management, communication, and team work skills... more of the people skills you could say.

You will have to work hard to stand out from this pool of applicants, from others with similar backgrounds! How? Dig deep and brainstorm on what makes YOU unique... b-school admissions decisions are made holistically... it's not just based on grades or facts or stats, but on a holistic picture of the applicant and what they'll contribute to the program, who they are as a person. That is primarily evidenced through your ESSAYS, fyi!! (And interview if you get to that point.)

In terms of the schools you have listed, and based upon the very limited info I have been provided, I would say yes, it would be very difficult to get into INSEAD or Said. HEC is a bit of a stretch too but perhaps not as much. The others are likely within reach. No matter what, be sure to talk up your time as team lead and any other leadership experiences, how you motivated and managed others, as well as your international experience. Good luck and keep us posted... if you decide you'd like a free consult at any point, we offer them at http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php.
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php