If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
nithya.krishnan65
Forum Guests

Profile evaluation-Indian Female /GMAT 700

by nithya.krishnan65 Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi ,

I am an Indian female, 26 years with 5 years experience in an oil and gas multi-national with work experience spanning areas of project management (including lead roles in CAPEX intensive projects in uncommon (high risk in terms of security) countries), design and engineering and operations support. I have worked in three different countries (Netherlands, India and Philippines). I gave GMAT recently and scored a 700 Q48/V38. I have an undergrad GPA of 3.6 from a reputed institute in India in Chemical engg. I have scores of 96% and 94% in High school and Higher Secondary School boards. My other credentials include a summer research internship in India (chosen among thousands of other candidates) and a leadership based selection program for the oil and gas major I now work for, for which I was among 47 candidates selected from all countries in Asia Pacific. I am also a classical vocalist (I have given a few concerts).Which schools should I aim for and which ones would be a stretch? I'd really appreciate your feedback!

Thanks!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile evaluation-Indian Female /GMAT 700

by mbamissionjenK Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for posting. So from my view, you have the following strengths:

-solid work experience, oil and gas industry is sometimes appealing for b-school
-solid academics, decent GMAT (though not exceptional among Indian engineering applicants)
-great international experience and exposure
-schools ARE looking for qualified female applicants

Potential weaknesses, challenges, & unknowns:

-not sure if you have any community experiences?
-wondering about leadership experience?
-not sure of the 'why MBA' and your goals and how your overall story makes sense?
-consider brainstorming more about what makes you unique
-some will depend on your essays/recommendations/interview of course

So overall, I'd say top 10 or so programs would be a stretch; not impossible if you have some strong leadership experience and really nail the essays and have a great explanation of your story and why you need the MBA... but maybe apply to 1-2 max if your heart is set on trying for one of those. I'd look mostly at schools ranked 11-30, and apply to a few in each tier for best chances. For more on choosing schools, check out our free download at: http://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book

Good luck, keep us posted on q's and your progress!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php