If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
shikhar01
Forum Guests

Profile evaluation - GMAT 590 | MS-IS | Spring'15

by shikhar01 Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:16 am

Hi

Initially i was planning for MBA but considering my low GMAT scores and cost factors i am considering MS-MIS courses since they too have business related curriculum and not very technical.
I am planning to apply for MS-MIS in US for spring intake.
I know there are not many universities available for spring but i have identified some universities as per my profile and professionals goals.

Below is short description of my profile:

Work Exp: 3 years and 8 months (IT-Software Tester/Quality assurance)
Bachelors of Engineering - Computer Science (2010 passout) Mumbai univeristy, India
GMAT - 590 (Q-47 v-23)
TOEFL - 99

List of Universities:

1. Georgia State (MS-IS, however i am more intereted in MS-Analytics program)
2. Baruch (MS-IS)
3. Northeastern (MS-IS)
4. South Florida (MS-IS)
5. New York University - SCPS
6. Bentley University (MS-Business Analytics)
7. Michigan State (MS-Business Analytics)
8. University of Connecticut (MS in Business Analytics and Project Management)
6. UIC (i believe the application deadlines have already passed)

Worked on two different projects/customers in Hospitality and Medical domain.

As per my professional goals, i want to work in Bussiness Analytics/Business intelligence track post masters.

Should i apply for these mentioned universities or should i apply for FALL'15 intake?

I have heard scholarships are very limited for Spring intakes.
It would be great if you can help me with my queries.

Thanks
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile evaluation - GMAT 590 | MS-IS | Spring'15

by mbamissionjenK Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for posting. Generally it sounds like you might have better chances at the MS-IS, given your background as well as the GMAT. No matter what there is always the option to re-take the GMAT, as schools take the highest score, fyi, and taking it more than once is quite common.

It sounds like a good school list, if a bit long (review the applications and essays for each to get a feel for how involved each application is). In terms of your question about spring vs fall, for MBA programs yes scholarships are generally given most often to early applicants for fall starts... for MS IS I am less familiar with that scenario and it likely varies a lot by school so I'd just get in touch with admissions officers and ask! ;)

Keep us posted and good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php