If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
ayushjain007
Forum Guests

Profile Evaluation for ISB Early entry option

by ayushjain007 Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:03 am

Hi,

It would be a lot of help if anyone could analyse my profile.

WORK EXPERIENCE
Jain Saraogi & Co.
Period - April 2013 - Present
Position - Partner
Period - March 2011 - March 2013
Position - Intern
Roles and responsibilities:
➢ Audit of books of accounts, prepare Financial Statements and file Tax Returns
➢ Prepare Credit Monitoring Arrangement (CMA) data
➢ Prepare reports and provide recommendations following Internal Audit
➢ Carry out Financial Due Diligence and advise clients on business transactions, such as acquisitions or re-structuring

S. R. Batliboi & Associates (Ernst & Young Pvt Ltd)
Period - March 2010 - March 2011
Department - Audit & Assurance
Position - Intern
Roles and responsibilities:
➢ Audit of books of accounts and prepare Financial Statements
➢ Analyze financial data year-on-year basis for carrying out variance analysis
➢ Review company’s systems & operations and suggest effective solutions for the same

EDUCATION
Financial Risk Manager
Part I (Awaiting Results) - Nov 2013

Chartered Financial Analyst (Level III candidate)
Level II - Jun 2012
Level I - Jun 2011

Chartered Accountancy
Final Examination - Nov 2012 - 63.25%
Integrated Professional Competence Course (All India Rank 25th) - Nov 2009 - 66%
Common Proficiency Test (Distinction) - Dec 2008 - 88%

B.Com (Hons) - Accounting & Finance
The Bhawanipur Education Society College - Calcutta University - 2011 - 74.25%

Higher Secondary (Science Stream)
Lakshmipat Singhania Academy, Kolkata - CBSE - 2008 - 88%

Secondary
Lakshmipat Singhania Academy, Kolkata - CBSE - 2006 - 90.60%

OTHERS
Skills
Good working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint & Tally.
Good communication and presentation skills.

Courses
Computer Training Course conducted by The ICAI.
General Management and Communication Skills Course organized by The ICAI.
Online Diploma Course in Entrepreneurship Administration and Business Laws organized by NUJS, Kolkata. (Currently pursuing)

Achievements
Awarded Certificate of National Champions in 15th National Student Management Games, 2011 organized by All India Management Association (AIMA).
Awarded Certificate of Merit in Indian Scholarship Examination organized by National Council for Development of Education, Chandigarh for securing the 75th Rank at All India Level in 2005.
Awarded Certificate of Participation in 5th National Cyber Olympiad Examination, 2005 and 7th National Science Olympiad Examination, 2004 organized by Science Olympiad Foundation.
Awarded Certificate of Participation in 2005 and Certificate of Merit in 2003 in the ASSET test organized by Assessment of Scholastic Skills through Educational Testing (ASSET).
Awarded Certificate of Credit in Computer Studies and Certificate of Participation in Mathematics in International Assessments for Schools in 2001 organized by The University of New South Wales.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Regards,
Ayush
ayushjain007
Forum Guests

Re: Profile Evaluation for ISB Early entry option

by ayushjain007 Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:10 am

I forgot to mention my GMAT scores:

English - 31 / 60%
Quantitative - 49 / 81%
Overall - 660 / 80%
Analytical Writing - 4.5 / 43%
Integrated Reasoning - 7 / 82%

Please take this also into consideration.

Thank You,
Ayush
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:07 pm

Hi Ayush,

THanks for your post. Hmm, sounds like the 660 GMAT might be your initial challenge, as that is quite low compared to the average at ISB. Have you considered re-taking it to bump up the verbal and therefore the whole score? Beyond that, you'll want to work hard on showing leadership and people skills, communication skills, teamwork, etc, during your work experience. Make sure you show you are more than solely a numbers-focused applicant. Let us know what other questions you have!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
ayushjain007
Forum Guests

by ayushjain007 Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:39 am

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for the reply. If you could suggest a few examples of how to show leadership and people skills, communication skills during work experience, it would be of great help to me.

I would like to shed light on few points which weren't highlighted in my CV:
> I have designed the website of my Firm Jain Saraogi & Co.
> With carrying out audits I meant I was the person-in-charge and led a team of 3-4 to perform the work.
> I am also involved in dealing with clients and negotiating deals

I will welcome any suggestions you can provide which will help me improve my profile.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Thanks,
Ayush
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:38 am

Hi Ayush,

Sure thing, it sounds like, especially based on the extra info you just provided, that you should have the experiences you can draw from to find examples of people management, leadership, communication skills, etc. Basically-- your quant skills will def come across on your resume/application no matter what.... but think about all those with similar backgrounds, and brainstorm about how you can stand out from that profile.... maybe you are not only great at finance/accounting/quant, but you ALSO are great at negotiating... at motivating a team.... at influencing decisions or outcomes.... at developing and giving presentations....

Try to think of examples of those in your work experience that you can describe as a story or anecdote where it makes sense.

Think about any time you've influenced others, maybe leading a team or contributing to a project or outcome. The negotiation examples would work well. Presentation examples-- and if possible-- what was the impact or result post-presentation? How are you able to convince others of your ideas? To motivate them to accomplish a task? etc

Hope that helps, and good luck to you!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php