If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
skylight314
Students

Profile Evaluation for Harvard 2 + 2 and GSB

by skylight314 Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:45 am

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping someone can give me some insight and/or critic on my chances on getting into the HBS 2+2 program. I have one more year left of my graduate program and I'm applying this summer. Thank you all in advance. I would really appreciate any thoughts you have on my profile.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Basic Info:

Age 22
Female
Asian
Undergraduate: Cornell - Major: Health Policy, Minor: Business GPA: 3.4
Graduate: Cornell - Master of Health Administration GPA 4.0 (probably going down a little this semester)
GMAT: 710
Recommendations and Essay should be solid
Applying First Round

Work and Internship Experience:

3 years as a resident Advisor
Didn't really do any internships as undergrad and went traveling instead. While it looks bad on here, I don't regret any of it.
This summer I will be interning at New York Presbyterian

Extracurricular Involvement, Community Service & Leadership:

Alpha Phi Omega - Community Service Fraternity (held minor offices)
Social Fraternity - President and other offices throughout the years
Chair of campus government - Think student government but for undergrad, grad, faculty, and staff
And a few other things here and there

I honestly will have no problem getting a job out of my masters but I want to try my luck at HBS for a chance to do something bigger. My goal is to change the healthcare industry through innovation and hospitality. I know it sounds not realistic but that is truly why i'm doing this. Do you think I should say so in my essay?

Main concern:

Undergrad GPA. I hope it's not too low. Though this was mainly due to my first two years of college when I was sexually assaulted among other personal stuff. Unfortunately it bothered me a little more than it should and I did poorly (less than 3.0) because of it. Once I snapped out of it I was around 3.7 and pulled my GPA up a little. Should I tell HBS about this or should I just keep quiet?

My GMAT isn't the highest but I took it after studying for two weeks to apply to my grad program. I tend to believe that colleges are looking to see that you're capable of doing well and not for the best possible score so I'm thinking of just leaving the score be. Your thoughts?

My main goal is HBS 2+2 but I will apply to GSB as well. I'm only apply to these two for now for their deferred program and if I don't get in I'll decide if I want to re-apply in a few years. If you have any insight on either please let me know. Thank you so much for reading everything and let me know if you need additional information.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Evaluation for Harvard 2 + 2 and GSB

by mbamissionjenK Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:30 am

Hi there,

Thanks for posting. Overall things look good in your profile, though of course the 2+2 program as well as GSB are extremely competitive, so there are no guarantees or definites ;), and a lot will depend upon how you come through in your application and in your essays, which are your opportunity to really shine and stand out.

Your GMAT is solid, could be stronger, but generally acceptable. With your masters grades being more recent and that much higher, I wouldn't worry about the undergrad GPA at a 3.4. It sounds like you've shown leadership in your campus government roles which is great, and a certain amount of 'drive' comes through in what you've presented here, so definitely keep that up as you apply.

In terms of your goals, passion for a set of career goals can go a long way certainly... but you'll probably also want to work on defining those goals further and making sure they are fairly realistic and well-thought-out, AND that the MBA is clearly needed to obtain those goals. Be sure to do some research into immediate post-MBA (possible) jobs and careers, so you can back up your explanation for WHY you want the MBA in addition to the masters in Health Administration. But overall with a strong application I would think you would be considered, and it may come down to how you compare with other qualified applicants.

Best of luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
GaganR935
Forum Guests

by GaganR935 Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi,

Do guide and evaluate me . My target schools are Harvard , Stanford 2+2 Mba Programmes.

Age - 20
Nationality - Indian

Education - Bishops School Pune for high school and junior college (top 3 in india)
Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research UG in BBA IT.
Currently in my 2nd year
CGP- 7.99/10.00

Internships - 3 Internships as Digital marketer , Sales Operations head.
Event Volunteer ship - 1 for Nasscom
NGO Volunteer ship -2 for underprivileged kids , Cancer patients.

Extra curricular - Zonal level Boxer(Bronze) , District level Cricket , District level Tennis player.
Iken scientifica Zonal

Also Graduated from Udacity Digital Marketing

Selected for summer school in Leeds Beckett University Uk . However choose not to go.

Founder and management head of clubs in my college which conducted various events.

How should I go about ? What more should I do? Will I be selected with a good gmat score?
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi GaganR935,

Thanks for your post. The two programs you mentioned are extremely competitive, so give them a shot, but just know that even with a great profile and great GMAT, there are no guarantees.

First, you should check out our primer on deferred programs: https://shop.mbamission.com/products/th ... ons-primer

Second, you should also look into other programs that have deferred options, like Chicago Booth, MIT Sloan, Yale Silver Scholars, UVA Darden, and Columbia.

Finally, in terms of your profile, I do see several strengths like your consistent internships and extracurricular involvement. I think you should do everything you can to keep your GPA high (and ideally raise it above 8). A high GMAT (750+) would be ideal too. Keep up the extracurricular involvement and try to show leadership wherever possible (e.g., planning events, organizing fundraising, starting new initiatives, recruiting new volunteers, etc.). Depth (more involvement in a few activities) is more important than breadth (lots of activities). A bonus to those things would also be getting some international exposure too, either through a study abroad program, internship, or volunteer trip.

Hope that helps and best of luck!
Kate

GaganR935 Wrote:Hi,

Do guide and evaluate me . My target schools are Harvard , Stanford 2+2 Mba Programmes.

Age - 20
Nationality - Indian

Education - Bishops School Pune for high school and junior college (top 3 in india)
Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research UG in BBA IT.
Currently in my 2nd year
CGP- 7.99/10.00

Internships - 3 Internships as Digital marketer , Sales Operations head.
Event Volunteer ship - 1 for Nasscom
NGO Volunteer ship -2 for underprivileged kids , Cancer patients.

Extra curricular - Zonal level Boxer(Bronze) , District level Cricket , District level Tennis player.
Iken scientifica Zonal

Also Graduated from Udacity Digital Marketing

Selected for summer school in Leeds Beckett University Uk . However choose not to go.

Founder and management head of clubs in my college which conducted various events.

How should I go about ? What more should I do? Will I be selected with a good gmat score?
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
GaganR983
Forum Guests

by GaganR983 Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:07 pm

Hi,

Actually I have a dream of making it to Harvard2+2 or GSB Deferred MBA. Past 3 years have worked hard on this.
Please evaluate my profile and would be grateful if someone could give me a detailed outline of my strengths and key areas (profile).

Basic Info

Male
Indian
Undergraduate : Symbiosis International University
Degree : BBA -Information Technology
GPA : Sem 1- 7.26, Sem 2-7.54, Sem 3-7.8,Sem 4-7.71, Sem 5- 8.2
Average: 7.70 , in 4 Grade Scale it is - 3.29

Work/Internship Experience

--- Digital Marketer Intern for a Startup for 3 months in Feb 2018 - created an engaging app concept .B2B application.
---Volunteer assistant for Non-profit social Enterprise 2 moths Feb 2018 . - Lead a team of 10 , conducted event of over 150+ delegates and 30 speakers in health sector.
---Sales Head Intern for a Growing online education platform 2 months Aug 2018 .- With a team of 3 had sales of 1 lakh Rs and guiding 80+ students in career.
Promoted to Sales Operations Head Intern of City . - Lead Team of 10 with 60+ students in 1 month
--- Volunteer for Non-profit social Enterprise again at higher post , 3 months Oct 2018 to Dec. This event happened on larger scale in which lead a team of 20 and instrumented the event with 700+ delegates and 120 speakers across 4 Sectors.
--- Volunteer for NGO community which promoted qualities through sports and music for underprivileged kids. 3 months Feb 2019 . Helped 300-500 kids for their matches , music competitions etc.
---Volunteer for a Nasscom event in March 2019 . Resulted in smooth flow of 500+ participants .

Extracurricular Sports

---Zonal Level Boxer 2016-17 Bronze Medallist Under 16
--- District level Cricketer 2012-14 under 12,14
---Zonal level participant in Iken Scietifica
---School level participant in boxing (Silver) , Taekwondo(Bronze) , Athletics , Football,Cricket .

Extracurricular Involvement

---International Cell Head for Undergrad 2019 . Conducted 3 events for international students .Helped and guided them in studies ,culture, for 20-30 International Students.
--- Placement Cell Coordinator for my Undergrad 2019. Coordinated and conducted placements for students with 5 companies.
--- Founder and Head for Clubs in Undergrad 2018 .Conducted 2 events and also lead a team of 10 for various activities for college.
--- Participant in Sponsored Cancer walk(5kms) in which I collected 5k and received a gold medal by school for maximum contribution.
--- Received a award for Gentlemanly qualities in school 2016.

Additional Certifications

--- HarvardX certificate online course Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies on Edx platform
--- Nanodegree in Digital Marketing Udacity
--- Google certificate in Digital Marketing
--- Business Blogging , Content Marketing Certificate on Hubspot Academy .

Projects

---Missing Faces
A project in which my team of 10 with a mentors (College professor, Entrepreneur, Coder) are making an app for children who are lost . This also connects entities I.E Parents, Police and NGO's . Had successful meeting with City police , Ngos . App currently under-development.

---GovConnect
Supported by The Governor of Union Territory and one of the most Influential Women in India. Creating an app for connecting all the governors across country and also establishing security and making user friendly app.

---------------------------

I am planning to give my Gmat in this month . Have scored 720 in my mock tests .
I believe I have a strong story to tell.

Career Goals : I want to contribute towards soceity development and also have a passion to grow in the field of Entrepreneurship and marketing .

Please do guide me ...
Looking forward !!!!!!!!!!!
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:26 pm

Hi GaganR983,
Looks like we already connected earlier this year. I think your work experience, extracurriculars, leadership and projects (especially the app development for social causes) are all strengths. The challenges I think are your GPA (typically these programs have equivalent of 3.7 or higher GPA) and your GMAT (which you still have time to work on, but the median for Harvard is 730, and often higher for the 2+2 program from what I've seen). You could instead try the GRE if you feel you would perform better on that (20% of Harvard's class now submits a GRE score). Do you have a post-college position lined up? I believe that is something else like they to see, so that you have a clearer picture of how you'll spend the two (or three) years in between.
If anything else has changed since we last connected that you'd like me to weigh in on, let me know.
Best of luck!
Kate

GaganR983 Wrote:Hi,

Actually I have a dream of making it to Harvard2+2 or GSB Deferred MBA. Past 3 years have worked hard on this.
Please evaluate my profile and would be grateful if someone could give me a detailed outline of my strengths and key areas (profile).

Basic Info

Male
Indian
Undergraduate : Symbiosis International University
Degree : BBA -Information Technology
GPA : Sem 1- 7.26, Sem 2-7.54, Sem 3-7.8,Sem 4-7.71, Sem 5- 8.2
Average: 7.70 , in 4 Grade Scale it is - 3.29

Work/Internship Experience

--- Digital Marketer Intern for a Startup for 3 months in Feb 2018 - created an engaging app concept .B2B application.
---Volunteer assistant for Non-profit social Enterprise 2 moths Feb 2018 . - Lead a team of 10 , conducted event of over 150+ delegates and 30 speakers in health sector.
---Sales Head Intern for a Growing online education platform 2 months Aug 2018 .- With a team of 3 had sales of 1 lakh Rs and guiding 80+ students in career.
Promoted to Sales Operations Head Intern of City . - Lead Team of 10 with 60+ students in 1 month
--- Volunteer for Non-profit social Enterprise again at higher post , 3 months Oct 2018 to Dec. This event happened on larger scale in which lead a team of 20 and instrumented the event with 700+ delegates and 120 speakers across 4 Sectors.
--- Volunteer for NGO community which promoted qualities through sports and music for underprivileged kids. 3 months Feb 2019 . Helped 300-500 kids for their matches , music competitions etc.
---Volunteer for a Nasscom event in March 2019 . Resulted in smooth flow of 500+ participants .

Extracurricular Sports

---Zonal Level Boxer 2016-17 Bronze Medallist Under 16
--- District level Cricketer 2012-14 under 12,14
---Zonal level participant in Iken Scietifica
---School level participant in boxing (Silver) , Taekwondo(Bronze) , Athletics , Football,Cricket .

Extracurricular Involvement

---International Cell Head for Undergrad 2019 . Conducted 3 events for international students .Helped and guided them in studies ,culture, for 20-30 International Students.
--- Placement Cell Coordinator for my Undergrad 2019. Coordinated and conducted placements for students with 5 companies.
--- Founder and Head for Clubs in Undergrad 2018 .Conducted 2 events and also lead a team of 10 for various activities for college.
--- Participant in Sponsored Cancer walk(5kms) in which I collected 5k and received a gold medal by school for maximum contribution.
--- Received a award for Gentlemanly qualities in school 2016.

Additional Certifications

--- HarvardX certificate online course Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies on Edx platform
--- Nanodegree in Digital Marketing Udacity
--- Google certificate in Digital Marketing
--- Business Blogging , Content Marketing Certificate on Hubspot Academy .

Projects

---Missing Faces
A project in which my team of 10 with a mentors (College professor, Entrepreneur, Coder) are making an app for children who are lost . This also connects entities I.E Parents, Police and NGO's . Had successful meeting with City police , Ngos . App currently under-development.

---GovConnect
Supported by The Governor of Union Territory and one of the most Influential Women in India. Creating an app for connecting all the governors across country and also establishing security and making user friendly app.

---------------------------

I am planning to give my Gmat in this month . Have scored 720 in my mock tests .
I believe I have a strong story to tell.

Career Goals : I want to contribute towards soceity development and also have a passion to grow in the field of Entrepreneurship and marketing .

Please do guide me ...
Looking forward !!!!!!!!!!!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com