If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
matthewv265
Course Students

Profile Evaluation - financial journalist

by matthewv265 Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:12 pm

Hello,

I'm preparing my B school applications now and would love some feedback on my profile! I'm submitting a R1 application to Columbia and NYU; in R2 I plan to apply to Yale, MIT, McDonough and maybe one more school. I realize my GMAT quant score is a bit low, but I'm hoping that my track record in math/economics/stats classes during my undergraduate career and experience at a commodity price assessment agency (which involved a lot of quantitative modeling and analysis) will make up for it.

Work experience: >4 years as a reporter at a financial media company, a commodities price assessment/analysis service and now at a start-up concerned with energy and water infrastructure development. At my current job I have a senior role and manage four people. I also travel somewhat regularly to our offices in Asia; last year I worked for six weeks from Shanghai.

Extracurriculars: varsity tennis in college; director of a non-profit tennis clinic for kids with autism; development and finance committee at another non-profit that is involved in teaching tennis to kids in public housing

Undergrad school/major: double major in economics and philosophy; studied abroad in London and attended a summer seminar for students interested in a PhD in Philosophy at UC Boulder

GMAT Score: 720. 47V/43Q split.

Undergrad GPA: 3.77; Relevant coursework: Calculus I (A-); Calculus II (A); Calculus III (A); Econometrics (A-); Economic Statistics (A-); Microeconomics (A)
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Profile Evaluation - financial journalist

by mbaMissionKate Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:12 pm

Hi there!
You have a really strong profile! Your work experience sounds great ...the international exposure + team management is great to highlight. Do your post-MBA goals relate to your experience in energy / infrastructure? Ideally there is a connection there even if you are planning to make a career switch. And make sure you've thought through specific short term and long term post MBA goals.

Your GPA and quant coursework is excellent -- great foundation, plus a college athlete.

The GMAT quant is the only concern I see but given all those other factors (your GPA primarily and the quant work you do on the job), plus the fact that your overall score is great, I really don't think that will be a major issues. You definitely have other evidence of ability to perform well in demanding quant classes.

Are some of those volunteer activities current? I assume so but if not that could be the only other area for improvement as schools look for post-college involvement.

But overall, really great stuff here and good luck with your applications. Keep us posted if we can help with anything else!
Kate

matthewv265 Wrote:Hello,

I'm preparing my B school applications now and would love some feedback on my profile! I'm submitting a R1 application to Columbia and NYU; in R2 I plan to apply to Yale, MIT, McDonough and maybe one more school. I realize my GMAT quant score is a bit low, but I'm hoping that my track record in math/economics/stats classes during my undergraduate career and experience at a commodity price assessment agency (which involved a lot of quantitative modeling and analysis) will make up for it.

Work experience: >4 years as a reporter at a financial media company, a commodities price assessment/analysis service and now at a start-up concerned with energy and water infrastructure development. At my current job I have a senior role and manage four people. I also travel somewhat regularly to our offices in Asia; last year I worked for six weeks from Shanghai.

Extracurriculars: varsity tennis in college; director of a non-profit tennis clinic for kids with autism; development and finance committee at another non-profit that is involved in teaching tennis to kids in public housing

Undergrad school/major: double major in economics and philosophy; studied abroad in London and attended a summer seminar for students interested in a PhD in Philosophy at UC Boulder

GMAT Score: 720. 47V/43Q split.

Undergrad GPA: 3.77; Relevant coursework: Calculus I (A-); Calculus II (A); Calculus III (A); Econometrics (A-); Economic Statistics (A-); Microeconomics (A)
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php