If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
chip512
Course Students

Profile Evaluation - CBS/Kellogg/Booth vs. Reapply?

by chip512 Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:07 pm

Hi - Would love to get some feedback as I currently have 3 great schools I've received offers from vs. reapplication.

-Kellogg ($100k)
-Booth ($60k)
-CBS (no $)
-Reapply to H/S/W (denied with interview at H/S; denied without interview at W)

Demographics:
-26 yr old asian american female

GMAT:
-720 (Q 47, V 41) first time

Undergrad:
-Public Ivy (think large state school)
-GPA of 3.9
-Studied Finance/Business Honors

Work Experience:
-2 years analyst at Bulge Bracket IB (Energy)
-2 years associate at small PE firm (was first female hired in all-male firm)

Volunteer Experience:
-Animal rescue (6+ year history)

Post MBA Goal:
-PE; goals to pave the way for more women in PE

Would love to hear some advice on school selection and/or whether I should try to reapply next year.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Evaluation - CBS/Kellogg/Booth vs. Reapply?

by mbamissionjenK Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:06 pm

Hi!

First of all CONGRATS on the great acceptances and financial offers! Lots to feel great about at some amazing top 10 schools. ;)

I think the heart of your question is quite a personal one.... you are aiming to assess multiple great offers vs holding out and trying for other schools next year....at the end of the day it's not a decision that others can make a huge impact on, as it really comes down to your preferences and what makes sense to you. But here are some points to consider in case helpful at all.

Some of the common categories of consideration I hear from applicants deciding amongst schools include:

- Career impact & post-MBA considerations: Really digging in to a) researching the employment reports and stats at the different schools, including industry, role, and specific companies recruiting there, and b) your own short and long term post-MBA goals and likely opportunities, can sometimes steer you a certain direction or help narrow down your school list.

- Considering your experience at each school, campus & city: Focusing on what you envision your 2 years to be like at each program can help.... consider class size; curriculum; specific projects or exchange opps or clubs; class profile (what roles/industries/nationalities etc people often come from); campus setting; geographic setting; your experiences visiting and speaking with current students and alumni.

- Financial considerations: more straightforward and should be weighed with the rest of the factors you are thinking about, but obviously can make an impact ;)

- Overall "feeling" or "fit": sometimes the final piece that sways people one way or another is less tangible, harder to put your finger on, but based upon your overall experience of a school, a gut feeling that you can best see yourself there.

For more on choosing schools, check out our free download at: http://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book.

Good luck and congrats again! You've got some great opportunities already offered to you, but only you can make that final call on what the best option is. ;)
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php