If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
HarshaV664
Students

Profile evaluation and GMAT score check

by HarshaV664 Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:37 am

HI,

Brief Profile:
GMAT 730 Q50 V38.
Indian male - Mechanical engineer. IIT Dual degree- bachelors (Engineering design) and masters degree(Biomedical design).
I am aiming for schools such as Tuck, Ross, Wharton and may be few others in this category.
Work ex : 2.5 years - in a multi national Healthcare company. Primarily as a Mechanical engineer but have performed roles in Marketing as well.
Also has an unsuccessful startup venture, 2 years ago.

I would like to know if this profile is good enough to apply for MBA full time or MBA full-time Healthcare in one of the above mentioned schools?
Should I improve on my GMAT score ? or what else is needed for a scholarship?

Advice or help very much appreciated
Thank you
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Profile evaluation and GMAT score check

by mbaMissionKate Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:20 pm

Hi there! Thanks for reaching out. A couple thoughts...

Your score is strong. Definitely high enough to apply to top schools, especially ones like Ross and Tuck or others where your score is above average. A school like Wharton could be tough though, so I'd still consider that a reach even with your strong score. If you think you can score higher and have time, then sure, give it another shot. Especially if you want to increase your chance of getting a scholarship. As you probably know, the Indian male demographic is really competitive so those schools are seeing a lot of 730+ scores.

Do you only have 2.5 years experience total post university? That is a little on the low end, most students have 4-6 years when they start. But it could depend on how quickly you've progressed in your career (any promotion? much leadership experience). If not, then this could be an area to improve and possibly even wait another year before applying (which would also give you plenty of time to get GMAT up higher).

Good luck!
Kate

HarshaV664 Wrote:HI,

Brief Profile:
GMAT 730 Q50 V38.
Indian male - Mechanical engineer. IIT Dual degree- bachelors (Engineering design) and masters degree(Biomedical design).
I am aiming for schools such as Tuck, Ross, Wharton and may be few others in this category.
Work ex : 2.5 years - in a multi national Healthcare company. Primarily as a Mechanical engineer but have performed roles in Marketing as well.
Also has an unsuccessful startup venture, 2 years ago.

I would like to know if this profile is good enough to apply for MBA full time or MBA full-time Healthcare in one of the above mentioned schools?
Should I improve on my GMAT score ? or what else is needed for a scholarship?

Advice or help very much appreciated
Thank you
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
HarshaV664
Students

by HarshaV664 Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:25 pm

Hi Kate,
Very valuable input!

At the moment, I have only 2.5 years of experience. And career progression wise, my responsibilities and recognition have increased quite well but not directly in terms of official promotion.

Feels like, waiting for one more year to try few more things I like and improve on the GMAT score seems to be a more desirable and productive option.

Thank you
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:50 pm

You're welcome! Yes, it sounds like in your case, waiting a year can only help. You can show more work progression / leadership (possibly a promotion??) and hopefully a higher GMAT. You didn't mention anything about leadership / extracurriculars outside of work, so if that area is weak, then you could also start something soon and be able to show about a year's worth of involvement which would be great.

Good luck, and keep us posted with any future questions!
Kate

HarshaV664 Wrote:Hi Kate,
Very valuable input!

At the moment, I have only 2.5 years of experience. And career progression wise, my responsibilities and recognition have increased quite well but not directly in terms of official promotion.

Feels like, waiting for one more year to try few more things I like and improve on the GMAT score seems to be a more desirable and productive option.

Thank you
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php