If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
PiyushK386
Students

Profile Evaluation & Alternate Transcript Advice

by PiyushK386 Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi mbaMission,

Kindly help by evaluating my profile and also help advising on my alternate transcript.

Here is some background on me:
GPA - 6.44/10 (Bachelors of Computer Applications) & 7.62/10 (Masters of Computer Applications) from top University in Central India.

GMAT - Targeting 700-730, high score in Quant section as well.

Work Experience - 4 years in IT MNC

Awards - Received Couple of Awards while serving in the company

Extra Curricular - Mostly College Time (Was Inter Department Sports Captain & was involved in various event organizing as well)
Worked with NGO during my college time.

Goal - Be part of MBB Consulting Firm.

Target Schools - Top 30 Colleges.

Alternative Transcript - Already completed Maths for Management (A+) & Business Statistics (B) from UCLA Extension. The Business Statistics class was graded on scale of A,B,C.... so ended up getting second best grade in that.

Request you to advice if any additional courses are required to be taken. Also help in profile evaluation & if possible suggest any inputs that might help in making my profile better.

Thanks
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Profile Evaluation & Alternate Transcript Advice

by mbaMissionKate Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:47 am

Hi there, thanks for sharing your profile.

From an academic perspective, it seems like your profile is OK, not stellar, obviously much better grades in the Master's degree but schools will look to your Bachelor's degree too. So I'm glad you're taking some additional courses. A lot will depend on the GMAT here too, so I hope you reach your target score! If not, I encourage you to try again, multiple attempts at the GMAT are definitely OK and may be required to compete within your demographic. Additional courses can't hurt, but it's hard to know how much of a difference they'll make. I might focus on the GMAT for now, see how it goes, and then decide if you want to take another course. A good one to add might be Accounting, or a basic Finance course, or even another Math course like Calculus. I'm not sure when you're applying and how much time you have to take these courses.

It sounds like you're a top performer at your company, so that's great. And 4 years experience is a good point in your career to apply to full-time programs. Since you're planning to make a career transition from IT to consulting, think about what skills you have now that you can transfer to that field. This will be very important to demonstrate that you understand what consulting is about, why it's a good fit for you in particular, and why you'll be successful.

Other than that, I'd say extracurriculars seem a little light - are there other activities you're involved with outside of work? Have you taken on any volunteer leadership roles? Do you have any interesting/unique hobbies or passions? These are the sorts of experiences and stories that could help to give you a slight edge. Again, depending on when you're applying, it may be difficult to "add" these sorts of experiences but perhaps there's something you can increase your involvement with.

Feel free to let us know if we can answer any more questions. And good luck!!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php