If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
shankar_bhavani
Forum Guests

Profile Evaluation- 720GMAT, 4 Years in Manufacturing

by shankar_bhavani Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:48 am

It took me a lot to muster up the courage and decide to take GMAT as the idea of pursuing an MBA from abroad was itself quite daunting.

Finally.I took it and request a profile evaluation.

Nationality and country of residence: India
Age- 24 years
GMAT- 720 (Q50,V38)- IR-8, AWA-6
B.Tech (Electrical Engineering) from NIT Allahabad(Top 20 Engineering Schools), Class of 2011- 7.67/10
XII- 88.2% CBSE (Top1% in school)
X-93.4% CBSE, (Top1% in school)

Work-ex:
50 months by Fall-2015. Area- Design Engineer with a leading power and automation technology conglomerate(Fortune 500)
Roles include:
1. Product development of Power Transformers wherein I am responsible for frequently developing the product to suit the needs of the end customer in a highly competitive environment.
2. Acknowledged with Silver Employee award for consistent performance over the years.
3. Involved in preparation of technical bids to decide the selling price of the product.
4. Have achieved a total business of over 20MUSD.
5. Was nominated as one of the few persons to attend the Annual Leadership Challenge Program.
6. Also assist Sales team from Europe and Africa to collectively bag orders from the region.
7. Enjoy frequent interaction with suppliers and customers and also impart classroom training to several customers.
8. Attained one promotion in 3 years in a flat-hierarchical model.
9. Also assist the factory workers and help them go about a certain new technological implementation.

Extra-Curricular:
1. 12 months by Fall-2015 in a government of India recognized NGO in the field of natural resource restoration.
2. Was one of the finalists of the coveted "I Lead India" program organized by "The Times of India". My work was centered on the optimizing solid waste management system.
3. Captained college basketball team to several tournaments.
4. Second prize in south indian folk dance competition
5. First prize in the annual fashion event.
6. Organized annual athletic meet and the sports fest of the college.
7. Member of the coordinating committee of the Annual Technical Fest
8. Participated in and completed Vadodara Half Marathon.
9. 1st Prize in many quizzes at school level.
10. 1st Prize in dramatics at school level.
11. 2nd prize in debate at school level.
12. Was a member of Bhartiya Scouts and Guides and was involved in various community services.

Post-MBA Goal:
I have been able to spot the loopholes at my work place and bring them to the knowledge of top-management and have been fairly successful in convincing them to improve the efficiency. I lack a formal and systematic way to go about it and thus aim at learning the same and work for a manufacturing company in the field of strategic consulting.

Please comment on the following list of schools I am aiming at:
1. University of Michigan, Ross
2. Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper
3. University of Northern Carolina, Kenan-Flagler,
4. National University Singapore
5. University of Texas at Austin, McCombs
6. University of Virginia, Darden
7. University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign

I would prefer an admit with scholarship(Is it possible?) and would not mind changing my preferences above.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Last edited by shankar_bhavani on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Evaluation- 720GMAT, 4 Years in Manufacturing

by mbamissionjenK Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for posting. Overall you do have a pretty common profile-- Indian engineering background, and product management experience, analytical skills, technical skills, etc. You have done a good job at describing exactly how and why you've considered getting the MBA-- observing inefficiencies and working towards correcting them, and realizing that consulting work would be something that appeals to you. (Side note-- if you can actually cite results of those suggestions/improvements you noticed and led, that would be a plus!).

It sounds like you have some extracurricular interests and involvements and potentially some leadership or teamwork skills you can focus on (?). Overall I would feel that McCombs, Illinois, and Kenan-Flagler would be the best to aim for from your list, but you may want to choose 1-2 of the others for stretch schools and give it a shot. For more on choosing schools, check out our free download at: http://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book.

Wishing you the best in your decisions and applications!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php