If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
vardhaman.patil88
Forum Guests

Profile evaluation : 710,indian,male 3 years work ex,startup

by vardhaman.patil88 Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:23 am

Hello,

Can you please evaluate my profile and assess my chances based on my profile?

Profile:

sex: Male
nationality: indian
Years of WE:3+ (non IT)
GMAT: 710 (q47 ,v40)
Undergrad percentage: 78% (distinction and within 5% of department)
Major: (2007-2011)Undergrad degree in Mechanical Engineering from Visvesvaraya Technological University (Teir 3 school )

Work ex:
2 years full time ( 2011-2013) in a reputed South korean firm:Tageutec-india Pvt.Ltd

Work profile:Technical and marketing support engineer for multiple branches across india
-managed the tech and marketing activities for over 5 branches in 2 years.
-managed productivity improvement projects for major customers like Hyundai,Toyota,L&T Ford etc
-managed product campaigns across 15 cities in India.

(2013-present day)

Technical manager at my family business
- manage a workforce of 30 members on the tool room section and have facilitated major changes within the organisation

few details of my family business:
1. Largest sheet metal perforators in India
2. Wide range of manufacturing products catering to airports, Townships, Shopping complexes, Food Processing machinery etc
3. It has a global presence . Majority turnover from exports (the reason why i want to focus on marketing and international experience)
4. 100+ employees

Start up: Co-founded a social enterprise startup called MADE in FEB-2014
team strength:core-6,volunteers: 80+
role: finance manager, marketing, event manager

-I come from a small town in india. Being a artist myself i realised that we dont get a platform to showcase our talents due to lack of opportunities , we provide artists like us a platform to exhibit their talents and help them grow professionally within the art circle. so this is the nature of the startup
-we organised a major event in our city in which 70 artists across the town participated and through the networking power of social media we managed to generate a foot fall of over 1500+ this helped the artists to gain a ground to network and market themselves.
- on account of world environment day we managed to build a team of 60 volunteers to clean up our city bus stand and beautify in the best possible manner and v also planted over 200 tress across the city.

extra curricular activities:
-i am a professional pianist.
- member of a rock band which for over 7 years
- organised multiple concerts across our state
-won multiple national level awards at battle of bands events
- vice president of interact club ( a rotary international initiative). activities:participated and headed polio eradication drives, environment awareness camps etc

MBA focus:
Marketing(marketing of manufacturing products to industries), entrepreneurship
post MBA
short term goal: broaden my skills in marketing,entrepreneurship and gain international exposure

Long term goal:since our business is in need of core marketing,i wish to head the business in sale and marketing and convert this company into a global brand.

school targeted: i understand with a 710 gmat, tier 3 school, indian-male profile top 10 schools are a long shot. Yet i wish to apply to a couple considering the strengths of othet aspects of my profile

Ambitious: Kellogg, Ross
Reach/safe: Kelley, McCombs,Emory, UNC, UCLA, Johnson, Tepper. These schools have an average gmat of 690 (except UCLA) .
I would like to know whether my 710 gmat is still a issue??

also,how best can i put up a convincing application based on my profile?

thanks! (my apologies for a lengthy mail)
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile evaluation : 710,indian,male 3 years work ex,startup

by mbamissionjenK Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for posting and sharing your profile and background. Overall you have some solid experience, and it's great that you've been able to really manage teams and motivate others and likely can speak to leadership and teamwork experiences based upon that. Your experiences and interests outside of the workplace are also interesting and help you stand out. As you described, top 10 or so schools especially will likely be reaches. I think overall your school list is reasonable. None are particularly sure-things, as all will require that you do detail more of your achievements and impact on your business and more about exactly how and why you'll use the MBA.... but overall I think it's a good list. You may want to shorten it slightly as each application is quite time consuming with different essays and schools expect you to tailor essays to them; plus there are that many recommendations to write for those doing them.

Let us know how else we can help, either here or via a free phone consultation at any point, good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php