If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
pauloah
Students

Profile Evaluation - 660 GMAT

by pauloah Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:04 pm

I would greatly appreciate if you could please comment on my profile and give me some insights. I would like to apply to MBA programs for the classes starting in 2015 (2014 application process)

Personal profile: Brazilian Black Male, 25 years
GMAT: 660 (47Q, 34V, 5 AWA)
Academics:
-> Bachelor of Business - Major Brazilian University - 81% Grade Score Record on classes

Total Work Experience after Graduation: 3 years at application

3 years of work as Analyst in Finance and Strategic in major America Appliance Corp. with over USD 18 Billions in Revenue worldwide

Selected for the company right after college in a Fast Track young leadership (Trainee) hunt program. +15K applicants 21 selected.

> First year worked in the US for LATAM Spanish speaking countries - Worked as Business Analyst for non-core initiatives

> Second and third year working in Brazil - ID&A Analyst for Core Business

Extra-curricular / Outside work activities during College

1. For 2 years member of a Junior Enterprise (JE) consulting company for small business associated with my University and managed by under-graduates, supervised by Professors. Last 6 months as Project Manager supervising 5 members of the JE - No Salary
2. Internship in a Local consulting firm for 1 year carrying consulting projects in Finance and Business introduction.
3. 4 months in Vermont US working in a Ski Resort - Purely cultural experience not related to my major

4. 8 months internship in a major mining company - International Finance division

Career Goals
Intend to work in Strategy Planning in a consumer goods company or Consulting services. 5-7 years later develop a business in Brazil.

My questions are:
1. Competitiveness of my profile and work experience

2. What are my chances at these schools:

Duke, Tuck, Kellogg, Yale, Berkeley, Cornell or Darden

3. Taking GMAT again:
I am very much interested in Harvard, Duke and Tuck. I am aware that my GMAT score is below the average score for these schools.
As of today, I have taken GMAT twice . My scores are
1st Attempt: Jun 2014 - 600 (Q46 V27)
2nd Attempt: Jul 2014 - 660 (Q47 V34)

During practice I am consistently scoring 700+ on Veritas and The Economist GMAT, but I've notice these two sources are not quite hard (especially Veritas). I am using GMAT prep questions now. I am currently studying to try GMAT a third time the goal is 700+.

My main doubt is whether to concentrate in GMAT and let application process for the second round or try a few colleges app now (Is my score competitive competitive? Which MBA programs?)

Tks very much in Advance, Paulo
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Evaluation - 660 GMAT

by mbamissionjenK Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi Paulo,

Thanks for posting and sharing your profile.

While you likely have some solid financial experience (though more info on your accomplishments and any leadership experiences would help); sounds like strong grades; and some other internships..... yes I would think the GMAT at 660 would be a pretty big weakness. I think with some additional prep a re-take is a good option. I recommend GMAT Prep, Manhattan GMAT, and /or Kaplan GMAT materials... and be sure to take several full-length practice tests. Usually if you are scoring 700+ on one of those, they are a good indicator that you are capable of doing so.

Of the main schools you mentioned, CURRENTLY they are all reaches in my view. With a higher GMAT, they are more reasonable, with likely Kellogg being the toughest, followed by Haas & Tuck. Harvard would be pretty tough. But really we may need some more info to assess further. Why don't you check back in post-GMAT, and/or set up a free consultation to talk it through more? http://mbamission.com/consult/.

Let us know what other q's you have!! Take care!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php