If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
byronneal24
Course Students

Profile Eval

by byronneal24 Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:47 am

Hello!

I'm a 32 Caucasian male applying to part-time b-schools in the Chicago area this fall. My target schools are Kellogg and Booth. Below are my credentials:

Undergrad: The Ohio State University
Major: Strategic Communications, Minor in Business
GPA: 3.09
Activities: Varsity Soccer team, played in a national championship, won a Big Ten Championship, made Big Ten All Tournament Team
Work Experience: 10 years in Pharma/Biotech with increasing responsibilities/positions
Current position: Director, Channel Strategy
GMAT: 650
Recommendations: 1) CFO of current employer, and 2) my boss (VP of Market Access)

Thank you!
mbaMissionMichael
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Eval

by mbaMissionMichael Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:57 pm

Hello and thanks for your post.
The application process is truly holistic, and committees will look at your stats (GPA and GMAT), work experience, and extracurriculars.

Your GPA and GMAT are solid, yet still a bit below the averages for Booth and Kellogg. If you haven’t already, I suggest taking the GMAT up to 3-4 times. You have nothing to lose since schools will only look at your highest score. And even a slight increase can boost your profile. Though if you feel the 650 is about the height of your potential, there are still other ways to illustrate to the schools that you have the academic ability to succeed in the classroom. You could showcase your quant ability in your resume, your recommenders could do the same in their recommendations, or you could even take a supplemental course such as stats or calculus.

It is hard to gauge your work experience without knowing your accomplishments and impact you have made there. It is nice to see you have had increasing responsibilities though, and the fact that you are a Director is a big plus. It will also be important to explain why you want an MBA, and how you feel it will help you accomplish your post-MBA goals. Be sure your story makes sense, and is realistic and specific.

Regarding extracurriculars, your college activities are impressive, though ideally you have been involved in some which are more current. If not, it’s never too late. And do your best to take on a leadership role in one.

I do think you have a chance at these schools, but they are extremely competitive, and each school simply does not have the room to admit all the world's qualified applicants. For that reason, I suggest apply to a few other schools. Hopefully though, your target schools will see that you have a compelling story and are someone who will add value to the classroom and community.
If you would like to discuss your story or anything else in greater detail, please sign up for a free consultation.
Good luck!
Michael Guttman, Senior Consultant
http://www.mbaMission.com
Michael@mbaMission.com
Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
byronneal24
Course Students

by byronneal24 Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks! I was a bit worried about my GPA, but you feel a 3.1 (3.09 to be exact :) ) is solid?

Thanks again,

Byron
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi there! I will let Michael respond too, but I have seen others get accepted to those programs with similar GPA, and GMAT too. So I think overall you've got a pretty solid profile.

Good luck!
Kate

byronneal24 Wrote:Hello!

I'm a 32 Caucasian male applying to part-time b-schools in the Chicago area this fall. My target schools are Kellogg and Booth. Below are my credentials:

Undergrad: The Ohio State University
Major: Strategic Communications, Minor in Business
GPA: 3.09
Activities: Varsity Soccer team, played in a national championship, won a Big Ten Championship, made Big Ten All Tournament Team
Work Experience: 10 years in Pharma/Biotech with increasing responsibilities/positions
Current position: Director, Channel Strategy
GMAT: 650
Recommendations: 1) CFO of current employer, and 2) my boss (VP of Market Access)

Thank you!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php