Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
suhrudlowalekar
Forum Guests

Probabilty - Picking without replacement.

by suhrudlowalekar Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:47 am

What is the GMAT stated method to go about a problem, when there are probability questions where we have to find the probability for data sets where selection is done without replacement?

Should it be calculated in a way such that selection is done one at a time or both/many at once? This could involve picking up cards or colored balls or similar items.
(this is obviously for questions where it does not clearly mention the above)
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Probabilty - Picking without replacement.

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:50 am

I don't know what you mean by "GMAT stated method".

In any case, in terms of the actual calculations, there's no difference between "simultaneous choices" and "consecutive choices".
If you're doing the calculations for choices that are considered "simultaneous", then you still have to write out individual factors for each decision, one at a time -- i.e., one after the other, in exactly the same way you'd do if you considered the calculations "consecutive".

Also, conceptually, there's not much difference either. If I scoop 3 stuffed animals out of a bin at the same time, the end result is the same is if I pick them out one at a time.