Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
Rahul SinghR799
Students

Probability Triangle (2)

by Rahul SinghR799 Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:15 pm

A cylindrical tank has a base with a circumference of 4*root 3 pi meters and an isosceles right triangle painted on the interior side of the base. A grain of sand is dropped into the tank, and has an equal probability of landing on any particular point on the base. If the probability of the grain of sand landing on the portion of the base outside the triangle is 3/4, what is the length of a side of the triangle?

root 2

root 3

root 6

Hi,

I got this question on my CAT 3, I think the question needs to be modified to "what is the length of the EQUAL side of the triangle".

Best Regards,
Rahul
tim
Course Students

Re: Probability Triangle (2)

by tim Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:04 am

I would suggest asking for the length of a leg of the triangle, rather than an equal side (which is technically undefined). However, such a change is not actually necessary, because even though there are two different side lengths in this triangle, only one of them shows up in the answer choices. So while the problem as written doesn't have a unique *answer*, it does have a unique *answer choice*.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Probability Triangle (2)

by RonPurewal Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:55 am

normally, whenever a GMAT problem has more than one possible answer, the word 'could' appears in the question (Which of these could be the length of...?), or else there's some other language to clarify that there's more than one possible answer (e.g., Which is the length of at least one side of the triangle?)

i'll have the question updated so that it's consistent with these trends.