gupviv23
Forum Guests

popularity and effectiveness

by gupviv23 Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:46 am

Hi

Can you please explain the graph and the subsequent questions in the following screenshot.

Thanks
Vivek
tim
Course Students

Re: popularity and effectiveness

by tim Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:16 am

Before we help with this question, we need you to show some effort of your own. What did you try on this question? Where did you get stuck?
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
gupviv23
Forum Guests

by gupviv23 Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi Tim

For 1st - the most effective treatment used by greatest number of people, according to me it should be exercise because it is the most used(0.85) based on popularity and it is the most effective (close to 0.7) as well.

For 2nd- least effective among the labelled treatments tried by more than half- means x-axis more than 0.5- it is caffeine but that was not in the dropdown so selected journaling.

Thanks
Vivek
tim
Course Students

by tim Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:15 am

you're right on both counts. sounds like the software may have a glitch, but you've done this one correctly..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
terryfshs
Course Students

by terryfshs Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:04 pm

Hello,

I have a question in regards to the 1st question. I am trying to understand what "The most effective treatment used by the greatest number of people" mean.

When I saw this, the first thing that pops into my mind was:
"Effective scale / Popularity"

I then used the following logic:
-Light Therapy: 0.45/0.18 = 2.5
-Exercise 0.7/0.85 = 0.82
Light Therapy > Exercise. I chose Light Therapy.

I know Light Therapy is wrong. May I ask what I missed?

Thanks,
Terry
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:52 am

terry, don't overcomplicate the issue. when they say "the most effective ... used by the most people", then guess what -- you are looking for two things:
1/ the most effective;
2/ used by the most people.
both of these things describe exercise, so there's no doubt that exercise is the correct response here.

--

also, not only are your ratios extraneous to the question at hand, but they don't actually make any sense here: the vertical axis isn't the kind of quantity for which that approach works.
if the vertical axis were an aggregate quantity -- like, total number of hot dogs consumed by everyone -- then doing this sort of division would actually mean something. (in that particular example, it would be the average number of hot dogs eaten per person.)
on the other hand, in this case, the vertical axis is not that kind of quantity. therefore, dividing the two numbers produces a ratio that doesn't have any immediate conceptual meaning.