Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Polio

by RonPurewal Sat May 21, 2011 5:06 am

george.kourdin Wrote:is it correst to eluminate answers choices that use the <still continue(s)> construction because it's redundant/akward? if something continues to occur, it is by definition on-going, and the word still does not seem to be necessary because it re-emphasizes an the fact that it is an on-going process. it's not like the phrase is blah blah something still happens (still is necessary here and changes the meaning of the sentence, correct or am i off?).

thank you

i think you could make that elimination, yes.

if you are faced with the choice between "continue(s)" and "still continue(s)" -- as in this problem -- then you can make that elimination with 100% confidence.
llzzyy234
Forum Guests

by llzzyy234 Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:59 am

(D) Although having been eradicated in the United States, polio still continues elsewhere and is capable of being - "is capable of being" implies polio itself is capable of coming to the country.

"still continues" is a redundant construction; that's a clear error.

I can't catch up with you. Why you say "still" is redundant here. I am not a native English Speaker, so I think I cannot take it for granted. Could you give some examples?

Thank you.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:29 am

llzzyy234 Wrote:I can't catch up with you. Why you say "still" is redundant here. I am not a native English Speaker, so I think I cannot take it for granted. Could you give some examples?

Thank you.

the word "continue" means that something is still happening. therefore, "still" is unnecessary.
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:07 am

The key to Sentence correction is , after reading entire sentence, to look for MECHANICAL grammarticle error first. Doing so permit you to eliminate 2,3 choices quickly and confidently. When there are 2 choices left, realizing the logic problem is easy.

never look for other kinds of error before looking for mechanical error. mechanical error can be minor and require us to compare answer choices which are long. doing so needs patience.
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:41 am

thank you! good points..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
ppksaps
Forum Guests

by ppksaps Thu May 17, 2012 6:45 am

I have an issue with option E.
'Although eradicated in the United States, polio continues elsewhere and could be'
I feel could here changes the tense to past and it should be replaced by can.

Can some one explain?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:36 am

ppksaps Wrote:I have an issue with option E.
'Although eradicated in the United States, polio continues elsewhere and could be'
I feel could here changes the tense to past and it should be replaced by can.

Can some one explain?

first --
OFFICIALLY CORRECT ANSWERS ARE CORRECT!
do not question officially correct answers!

far too many students on this forum make the mistake of questioning the correct answers; please note that doing so is a complete waste of your time and effort. i.e., exactly 0% of the time that you spend posting "isn't this official answer wrong?" is productive, and exactly 100% of that time is wasted.

"is this correct?" is NEVER a productive question to ask about one of GMAC's correct answers -- the answer is always yes.
"is this wrong?" / "is this X type of error?" is NEVER a productive question to ask about one of GMAC's correct answers -- the answer is always no.

instead, the questions you should be asking about correct official answers, if you don't understand them, are:
"why is this correct?"
"how does this work?"
"what understanding am i lacking that i need to understand this choice?"

this is a small, but hugely significant, change to your way of thinking -- you will suddenly find it much easier to understand the format, style, and conventions of the official problems if you dispose of the idea that they might be wrong.

--

now that we've gotten that out of the way...

the instance of "could" in the sentence is an example of what i have described as "#2" here:
post45300.html?sid=a7b44a6d2963b8d1b7fc9ed52378bdb5#p45300
wangyinwei_2005
Students

by wangyinwei_2005 Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:08 am

Hi Ron,
Shouldn't "Although" always follow by a clause?
If not, when should we use 'although+participle' ?
thank you in advance!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:34 am

wangyinwei_2005 Wrote:Hi Ron,
Shouldn't "Although" always follow by a clause?

OFFICIALLY CORRECT ANSWERS ARE CORRECT!
do not question officially correct answers!

If not, when should we use 'although+participle' ?

both constructions are acceptable. if you see what appears to be a choice between them, then there should be an issue somewhere else.
wangyinwei_2005
Students

by wangyinwei_2005 Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:09 am

Hi, thank you Ron,
I was not questioning official answer.
What I want to know is whether "Although+ participle" is accpetable in GMAT. Thank you for making it clear!
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:34 pm

thanks. let us know if there are any further questions on this one..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:04 pm

wangyinwei_2005 Wrote:Hi, thank you Ron,
I was not questioning official answer.
What I want to know is whether "Although+ participle" is accpetable in GMAT. Thank you for making it clear!

you're welcome. just don't forget, anything that appears in an officially correct answer is correct.
gauravtyagigmat
Students

by gauravtyagigmat Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi Ron
can you please explain the parallelism in option E?
What is paralleled to what

According to me

continues elsewhere and could be brought into the
country by visitors

Earlier I thought what ever comes immediate to the right side of "and" needs to be parallel with same logic and idea to left side
but here "could be " has intervened in between.
please explain whats the rule here and give more examples of such paralelism

Even i am confused the working verb needs to be parallel with working verb only but here continues is a working verb and could be is not a working verb

Please elaborate to explain the rule used in E
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:55 pm

"Continues" and "could" are parallel. Both are verbs.

In the right context, any verb can be parallel to any other verb. (There's only one exception -- a singular verb can't be parallel to a plural verb, because parallel verbs have the same subject.)

I don't know what a "working verb" is, but, whatever that is, it's a concept that you don't need (and that is causing you to get things wrong).
gauravtyagigmat
Students

by gauravtyagigmat Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:32 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:"Continues" and "could" are parallel. Both are verbs.

In the right context, any verb can be parallel to any other verb. (There's only one exception -- a singular verb can't be parallel to a plural verb, because parallel verbs have the same subject.)

I don't know what a "working verb" is, but, whatever that is, it's a concept that you don't need (and that is causing you to get things wrong).

please can you give more examples in which other verbssuch as continue and could/ is/are are parallel.

To refer "working verb"
Please refer manhattan sentence correction chapter 11 page 220 under topic "What else is considered parallel"

It says only working verbs are parallel to other working verbs

ex The plant both exceeded output targets and ran more smoothly than ever

please comment on discrepency