Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
Jason.tuyj
Forum Guests

Pls help to rate my issue essay!!!

by Jason.tuyj Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:13 am

"In some countries, television and radio programs are carefully censored for offensive language and behavior, in other countries, there is little or no censorship."

In your view, to what extent should government or any other group be able to censor television or radio programs? Explain, giving reasons and/or examples to support your position.

The issue of government or any other group be able to censor television or radio programs is always a controversial one. On one hand, some people believe that government or some groups should be responsible for censoring tv or radio programs with justification that it would help to create a harmonious society, on the other hand, some refute such idea in favor of free speech and commercial value of tv or radio programs. However in final analysis, following are several examples that justify the opinion censorship by government is in fact the better approach.

One reason for my belief is that tv or radio program censorship is good for younger generations' mental development. Reports say that children spend twice as much time as adults on watching tv or listening to radio programs during their spare time. Without proper supervision on what programs children watch, children are more likely to go astray in certain way. For example, if children are too much exposed to violent tv programs, he or she will have higher probabilities of committing crimes or robbing a bank, etc.

Another reason for my belief is that obscene and offensive behavior is indeed harmful to society. Censorship on tv or radio programs could prevent such social chaos or disorder. For instances, shanghai currently rapped up its 2010 expo event which highlights city makes life better. People are trying to create a peaceful environment nowadays, therefore if too much side effect information or advertisement happen around us, you could probably imagine what kind of our lives will become, what kind of city will be like. The only consequence is that we will be inflicted from those tv or radio programs which generate offensive languages and obscene regardless of moral principles.

Thirdly, although the right of free speech is intrinsic to democracy and necessary to its own survival, the interests served by restricting obscenity in the broadcast media are, on balance, more important to the survival of a country. With rapid global economic growth, one nation with strong and good reputation of foreign affairs and quality of its citizen will get higher attention from other countries and easy to develop itself. Thanks to government or other groups censoring on tv or radio programs.

For all these reason, I therefore believe that government or any other groups should hold total obligation on television or radio programs based on above three statements. Censorship on tv or radio programs not only help us to create more harmonious city but also bring us spiritual wealth and rich social knowledge.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Pls help to rate my issue essay!!!

by StaceyKoprince Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:53 am

Hi, thanks for posting your essays! Just an FYI that instructors don't grade or give feedback on essays (see the forum guidelines for details).

But I certainly hope other community members respond. Also, if you're in our class, you'll have an opportunity to get essays graded and get written feedback during the course (after class 6). Finally, you can get essays graded by GMAT Write (the official essay grading service from the makers of the exam) - they'll both grade the essays and provide feedback as to how to improve (for a fee). For details and pricing, go to www.mba.com and search for GMAT Write.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep