If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
GurkiratS998
Forum Guests

Pls Advice ! Mba Canada

by GurkiratS998 Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:55 am

I would really appreciate if you could help me out here.
Short profile:
Indian Male IT Sad
Gmat :- 670(Q49,V32)(Really dissapointed over verbal score, could have done lot better)
Work Exp:Currently 2 years, 3 Years at time of joining mba
Post MBA options: Consulting
B Tech in computer science:- 68%
Target Schools: Rotman, Schulich,McGill, Saunders (Canada Because its more immigration friendly and I

want to settle down now)

Work Profile:
Working as developer at TCS - LLoyds bank UK project.
A lot of client interaction on daily basis.
Managing the new joinees to the team.
Lead a team of 6 for a mini project during the initial learning program at the current

organisation.That was the best and most exciting time of my career so far.The team members very not

among the most brilliant ones but we ended among the top 3 teams because of our team work.(There were

15 teams)
I have always wanted to do an MBA.I wanted to get some work experience before my MBA and therefore joined this IT firm.When you are in big MNC's there is not a lot of

responsibility in the early years and most of the work is functional.One can not expect to get

managerial role before 5 years at least .So that is the reason i want to do MBA now and get into

consulting.I have good analytical and problem solving skills and i also love to travel, so i believe

management consulting will be a good career option for me.

I am aware that my Gmat is not so good, I was confident of scoring 700+ but could not do well on verbal

on test day.Nevertheless, I am planning to retake it and hoping to get above the 700 mark.

I know a couple of years of more work ex and a 30 40 points gmat score increase would make it much more

competitive but i dont want to wait for one more year.So, In worst case scenario , if i could not

improve my Gmat score , what are my chances at these schools? (not expecting scholarship with this

score)

Also, I may not be able to apply in the round 1 ,how much difference is that going to make on my

chances for admission and scholarship if any?

Or you think i should wait for one more year and get that 700+ gmat and work Exp?
I may also get an onsite opportunity next year.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Pls Advice ! Mba Canada

by mbamissionjenK Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi,

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you have a pretty good awareness of where you are at and different options and strengths and weaknesses. Certainly your international experience on top of your strong quant and analytical skills as well as the team lead experience and mentoring others, will all be plusses to your profile. ;)

Yes a higher GMAT would help a lot! So definitely work hard on that prep and re-take! If you can improve there, and put together strong applications, you could have a shot at some of the schools you mentioned. R1 is great if you are able to pull it off, but you can only do what you can do and don't want to apply before you are ready so if it needs to be R2, so be it.

Keep us posted and good luck!!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php