Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
iarindambanerjee
Forum Guests

Please review my Argument Analysis and Issue Analysis -Prep2

by iarindambanerjee Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:40 pm

Issue analysis :
I would support the option of observing candidates as they perform some of the job's actual tasks over the traditional question and answer interviews.There are quite a few advantages of observing a candidate at work and then deciding about his utility and ability.
In the following paragraphs,I would now provide some supporting points to validate my preference.
Firstly,it is of utmost importance to know the utility of a prospective employee for a particular role.It is of very little consequence if a candidate is unable to deliver on the
requirements of a particular role no matter how good he performed in the traditinal interview system.So,the best way to judge the suitability of a candidate would be to observe him perform some of the job's actual tasks.It will be a clear pointer whether the prospective candidate is the best possible match for the profile or not.
Secondly,candidates who are experienced and have gone through a lot of traditional question and answer interviews tend to be used to this whole process.They often devise a way to crack such interviews and hence this system does not necessarily provide a clear picture of the suitability of the candidate.However,if these people are made to work on the
job's actual tasks then it would give a much better perspective for the evaluation of the candidate.
Thirdly,prospective employees also get a feel of the exact demands of the profile when they work on some of the day-to-day tasks.The chances of a mismatch of expectation from the both the parties concerned are minimized and potential conflicts are avoided.Employers,on the other hand,also feel secured about the whole interaction process.
Finally,a lot of interview candidates tend to be very nervous about the traditional question-and-answer interview process.They are not able to handle the pressure of the moment
and hence under perform during the interview.This gives out an incomplete perspective about the candidate's ability.Sometimes,it is seen that very good candidates are rejected because of their inability to handle pressure during interviews.In addition,a traditional interview process totally relies on the feed back of the interviewer which may not always be correct.For instance,if the interviewer is suppossed to be involved with a lot of interviews
then it may not be possible for him to evaluate all the candidates on the same scale due to the paucity of time.
To conclude,I would state that traditional interview systems are deficient in evaluating the suitability of a prospective candidate for a particular job profile.It would be a much better option to observe candidates when they perform some of the job's actual tasks to get a complete perspective.As has been pointed pout earlier,this innovative method is also beneficial from the employee's perspective as well.

Analysis of an argument :

The argument that people are not as concerned as they were a decade ago about regulating their intake of red meat and fatty cheeses based on a few observations is not a reasoned one.The argument draws this conclusion in haste without taking into account alternate view points.In the following paragraphs,I will now discuss some of the flaws in the argument.
Firstly,to find a wide selection of cheeses made with high butterfat content does not necessarily indicate an increase in the number of consumers.
The increase in demand may be caused by the greater intake of such cheese products by the already existing customer base.Unless and until,a complete analysis
of the customer base is carried out ,it would be difficult to draw any conclusion.Moreover,the number of companies producing cheese products with high butterfat may have increased over the past few years which has resulted in more number of brands producing similar products.
Secondly,to make any definite conclusions from the modest living styles of the owners of the Good Earth Cafe would be too far fetched.We need to get the overall picture of other vegetarian restaurants to conclude that people nowadays do not prefer vegetarian dishes.In addition,the poor sales of Good Earth Cafe could be due to other factors like decline in the quality of services,poor infrastructure or incompetent personnel.We need to carry out a customer survey to pinpoint the reasons for the decline of sales and only then a proper conclusion can be made.
Thirdly,there is very little information about the owners of House of Beef.They may well have other business ventures which are doing much better and hence a majority of their wealth could well be atributted to those businesses.There is no evidence to suggest that House of Beef is doing maximum business and constantly adding to their ever expanding customer base.
Finally,there is no evidence to suggest that people are not concerned about the intake of red meat and fatty cheeses.There needs to be a thorough analysis of the food habits of a wide range of people from which this conclusion can then be made.
To conclude,it would be fair to say that the evidences provided in support of the argument lack clarity and hence needs to be revisited.They are more cosmetic in nature and hence incomplete.Scientific investigation needs to be carried out in a detailed manner before we can conclude that people nowadays are not very concerned about the intake of red meat and fatty cheese products.

Let me know if you need any soecific information.

Thanks
-Arindam
george.kourdin
Course Students

Re: Please review my Argument Analysis and Issue Analysis -Prep2

by george.kourdin Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:27 am

posting the issue and the argument that were given would be a good start.....
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Please review my Argument Analysis and Issue Analysis -Prep2

by StaceyKoprince Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi, thanks for posting your essays! Just an FYI that instructors don't grade or give feedback on essays (see the forum guidelines for details).

But I certainly hope other community members respond. Also, if you're in our class, you'll have an opportunity to get essays graded and get written feedback during the course (after class 6). Finally, you can get essays graded by GMAT Write (the official essay grading service from the makers of the exam) - they'll both grade the essays and provide feedback as to how to improve (for a fee). For details and pricing, go to www.mba.com and search for GMAT Write.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep