Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
GODSPEED

Please rate my ESSAYS

by GODSPEED Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:13 pm

ARGUMENT:

The following appeared as part of an article in the business section of a local newspaper.

"Motorcycle X has been manufactured in the United States for over 70 years. Although one foreign company has copied the motorcycle and is selling it for less, the company has failed to attract motorcycle X customers "” some say because its product lacks the exceptionally loud noise made by motorcycle X. But there must be some other explanation. After all, foreign cars tend to be quieter than similar American made cars, but they sell at least as well. Also, television advertisements for motorcycle X highlight its durability and sleek lines, not its
noisiness, and the ads typically have voice-overs or rock music rather than engine-roar on the sound track."

Discuss how well reasoned . . . etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------
The author's conclusion, that it is not the motorcycle X's engine roar and but something else, making motorcycle X's customers to not switch to cheaper copied version of motorcycle X, is refutable. In support of the conclusion author presents facts: firstly, the example of car industry, where quiter foreign cars sell atleast as well as American made cars. Secondly, author mentions the motorcycle X's advertisement, which highlight motorcycle X's durability and sleek lines instead of engine roar and basis that he questions that how can engine roar could be reason for customer not to switch to cheaper copied version of motorcycle X.Conclusion of the author based on flawed assumption that purchasing patterns of customers towards a car and motorcycle are same. Also he falsely assumes since television advertisement of motorcycle X does not focus on engine roar so engine roar cannot be the reason for customers to stick to the motorcycle X. The argument is unconvincing because it suffers from primarily two critical flaws.

Firstly, the assumption that since quites foreign cars sell as well as american made cars, so should be the motorcycle. Author overlooks the fact that while purchasing a car cusotmers might evaluate features of a car different than those of a motorcycle, while purchaing a motorcyclcle. While making such comparison author should have mentioned why purchaing of a car is similar to purchaing of a motorcycle? Since, author overlooks logical facts while stating example of car industry, so the assumption basis the same is completely flawed.

Secondly, the author assumes that since advertisement of the motorcycle X does not highlight engine roar so how can customer would be preferring motorcycle X over copied verision basis engine roar? Author overlooks the fact that motorcycle X is in business for 70 years and so possibly motorcycle X's engine roar does not need any introduction and so highlights motorcycle X's other features. If, while stating this fact author would have looked at familiraity of motorcycle X's customers with the product.How well versed the motorcycle X's customers are with the engine roar of the motorcyle X? And how the motorcycle X is recongnized among it's cusotmers. For example is the brand recongnition through enigne roar or something else? Since, author concludes in lack of lagical facts so the conclusion made by author is flawed.

Conlusively, in lack of evidences author concludes that the reason for customers of motorcycle X not switching to copied version is not engine roar and something else is flawed. Because argument leaves out several key issues so it's not sound and persuasive. So i disgree with the authors opinion that the reason for customers of motorcycle X not switching to copied version is not engine roar and something else basis stated facts.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ISSUE:

Some employers who recruit recent college graduates for entry-level jobs evaluate applicants only on their performance in business courses such as accounting, marketing, and economics. However, other employers also expect applicants to have a broad background in such courses as history, literature, and philosophy.

Do you think that, in the application process, employers should emphasize one type of background "” either specialization in business courses or a more varied academic preparation "” over the other? Why or why not? Develop your position by using reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two issue at hand states that whether employers should recruit recent college graduates for entry-level jobs basis their performance in business courses such as accounting, marketing, and economics or employers should evaluat applicants basis a broad background in courses such as history, literature, and philosophy?I shall present arguments favoring the latter statement and refuting the former statement.

Firstly, today's business world is very unpredictable and a candidate who comes from a broad based background is more suitable to handle the challenges than a candidate who comes with specialized courses. To state an example, in my previous organization my colleague was a history major with a business degree. In any of his work he used to bring in learnings from his history courses, at so many places his knowledge about histroy came handy to our team. If we were to analyze the characterstics graph of people, they bring up absolutely different leanings to the team and business. And the more the business world becomes volatile and unpredicatble everyday, it requires more cross domain knowledge than knowledge from single domain. And that's why candidates with broad background should be preferred over condidates with specific business courses.

Secondly, today's businesses demand continuous learnings and cross functional knowledge and in such a scenario a condidate with broad background fits in well than a candiate with certain functional domain knowledge. As we know if one needs to move up the ladder he needs to keep on expanding his knowledge domain. And a candidate from a broadbased background is easier to put on such a track than a candidate with a specific business courses.

Finally, if we were to take an example of B.L.Munjal CEO of Hero India Ltd., Munjal comes from history major without a business degree he made a fortune out of nothing from where he started. It was his broad background, which helped him intially in doing research of the market and help him in deciding where he sould set up his company? His broad background on different courses came handy at the time when he was setting up his business.

People who argue that employers should recruit recent college graduates for entry-level jobs evaluate applicants only on their performance in business courses such as accounting, marketing, and economics, should look at these examples. Conclusively, a candidate with a broad background should be preferred over candidate with background in specific business courses.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi, thanks for posting your essays! Just an FYI that instructors don't respond to posted essays - we just have too much to do with all of the question posted and essays tend to be the thing that is least "transferable" (that is, you can learn a lot, but probably other people won't learn as much from looking at our responses to your essays, unlike the multiple choice questions).

But I certainly hope other community members respond. Also, if you're in our class, you'll have an opportunity to get essays graded and get written feedback during the course (after class 6). We also offer an essay grading service - 2 essays graded and given written feedback. If you'd like to do this, send an email to studentservices@manhattangmat.com for details.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
GODSPEED

Please rate....

by GODSPEED Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:31 am

skoprince Wrote:Hi, thanks for posting your essays! Just an FYI that instructors don't respond to posted essays - we just have too much to do with all of the question posted and essays tend to be the thing that is least "transferable" (that is, you can learn a lot, but probably other people won't learn as much from looking at our responses to your essays, unlike the multiple choice questions).

But I certainly hope other community members respond. Also, if you're in our class, you'll have an opportunity to get essays graded and get written feedback during the course (after class 6). We also offer an essay grading service - 2 essays graded and given written feedback. If you'd like to do this, send an email to studentservices@manhattangmat.com for details.

Hi Stacey,

I totally understand that......i didn't know tht otherwise i shud have sent my essays to studenservices. BTW i subscribe into MGMAT CATs and would really appreciate if you guys rate my essays and share a written feedback with me.

Thanks
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:08 pm

Anybody can sign up for the essay grading service (though there is a fee - FYI). And, as I mentioned, if you are taking a course with us, a round of essay grading is including in the cost of the course.

We don't go in and rate the essays from the CAT exams, but you can try to rate them yourself by reading through chapter 10 of OG11 (the orange book). That gives detailed guidelines for how to rate both types of essays.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep