If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
JaredA896
Course Students

Please Evaluate My Profile

by JaredA896 Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:50 pm

Demographic: U.S White Male, 28 Years Old
UG: Bachelors in Acctg from Pac 12 school (UofA/UofW/UofO)
Work Experience: 3.5 years in credit risk advisory for Bulge Bracket Firm;
GPA: 3.5 overall; 3.8 core acctg coursework (I screwed around my freshmen year, that's why my overall GPA is low)
GMAT: 680 on third time (46Q/37V); I really don't want to take it again as I may have peaked at 680
Extracurricular Activities: 1.5 years serving as member of board of directors for one of the largest juvenile diabetes NP foundations in the U.S; directed a number of charity events
2 years of humanitarian related work in Chile

Target Schools
1) UCLA
2) Booth
3) Haas
4) Kellogg
5) Columbia

Thanks in advance
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Please Evaluate My Profile

by mbamissionjenK Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:39 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Well you've obviously got the quantitative background to demonstrate you can handle the academic rigor of the program. I don't know a ton about your professional background here... and keep in mind MBA admissions is a holistic process, it's not just about a few stats... so they will want to see evidence of leadership, teamwork, impact made on the job, people & project management skills are a plus... so if all of those are quite strong and you can demonstrate that you'll bring a lot to the class, you could have a shot, but you also have very competitive programs on your list. I will say the humanitarian efforts in Chile sound impressive and any kind of community service and commitment is worth highlighting. So with the GMAT being below their average (in some cases significantly) and without knowing more about you, I'd suggest looking outside the top 10-15 or so for best chances. Most on your list will be reaches, with UCLA maybe being closest.. of course you can still give it a shot but you just may want to consider some other great schools slightly outside this range too for best chances. Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
JaredA896
Course Students

by JaredA896 Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:13 am

mbamissionjenK Wrote:Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Well you've obviously got the quantitative background to demonstrate you can handle the academic rigor of the program. I don't know a ton about your professional background here... and keep in mind MBA admissions is a holistic process, it's not just about a few stats... so they will want to see evidence of leadership, teamwork, impact made on the job, people & project management skills are a plus... so if all of those are quite strong and you can demonstrate that you'll bring a lot to the class, you could have a shot, but you also have very competitive programs on your list. I will say the humanitarian efforts in Chile sound impressive and any kind of community service and commitment is worth highlighting. So with the GMAT being below their average (in some cases significantly) and without knowing more about you, I'd suggest looking outside the top 10-15 or so for best chances. Most on your list will be reaches, with UCLA maybe being closest.. of course you can still give it a shot but you just may want to consider some other great schools slightly outside this range too for best chances. Good luck!

Thanks for the quick response - it is greatly appreciated! A few follow up questions:
1) I was under the impression that the GMAT score is just one of many things MBA programs look for when evaluating potential candidates. Do you think that the other parts of my profile (impactful WE at a top 2 BB firm, extracurriculars after my UG, etc.) would outweigh my below average GMAT?
2) When looking at extracurricular activities, exactly how much of an impact does that play into improving my chances? I've seen many profiles that don't have hardly any service or volunteer work. If MBA schools are looking for well rounded candidates, then how do these types of candidates get selected over candidates with much more volunteer/service experiences, but slightly lower GMAT scores?
3) My #1 destination is UCLA.. What would it take to improve my chances of being accepted WITHOUT having to retake the GMAT?

Thanks again!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:24 am

Hi again,

See below for my thoughts on your questions!

1) I was under the impression that the GMAT score is just one of many things MBA programs look for when evaluating potential candidates. Do you think that the other parts of my profile (impactful WE at a top 2 BB firm, extracurriculars after my UG, etc.) would outweigh my below average GMAT?

Yes you are correct that the GMAT is just one of many things... BUT at top schools it is SO competitive and they actually turn away many qualified applicants each year... so starting out well below the average score at their school will make it that much tougher (i.e. they accept people at that score range but the #'s are much smaller than the #'s accepted with higher scores, if that makes sense). So I can't quite say those other things would 'outweigh' the GMAT but hopefully will help give you a shot. And what they see and learn about you and who you are from your essays and recs can be hugely important too!

2) When looking at extracurricular activities, exactly how much of an impact does that play into improving my chances? I've seen many profiles that don't have hardly any service or volunteer work. If MBA schools are looking for well rounded candidates, then how do these types of candidates get selected over candidates with much more volunteer/service experiences, but slightly lower GMAT scores?

It is a plus, not likely the one deciding factor unless really unique and involved etc, but a plus! Again on quick glance at someone's 'profile' you are missing critical factors such as the essays and recommendations that could really bring someone to 'life' and share who they are and what they bring to the class.

3) My #1 destination is UCLA.. What would it take to improve my chances of being accepted WITHOUT having to retake the GMAT?

Taking the GMAT out, look at what you can still impact.. the essays being the biggest factor!! Recommendations as well but depends how much influence you feel you'd have on those. ;)

If you'd like a free consult at any point let us know! Otherwise good luck and keep us posted!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php