If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
forhourz
Students

Please analyse my profile : Law + MBA

by forhourz Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:34 am

Dear Jane,

I am a law graduate, currently working in one of the top tier law firms in India. I've a total experience of 4 years and 7 months. I graduated from Symbiosis Law School in 2009 with 73.2.% (Top 5% of the Batch).

I shall have a 5+ when I apply to a college. I have a GMAT score of 690 and with my profile, I think I can get a call from ISB, Hyderabad (or Mohali) in India. However, what I wanted to know was, is there a demand for lawyers with an MBA degree? I've heard mixed reviews about it and I am unsure whether I am going in the right direction. I really want to do an MBA and take up a job of a managerial nature. I think my knowledge of law will also help me executing many things.

Is there a course that you can recommend or a college outside India for my profile and requirement. I think amongst the colleges that accept a GMAT score in India, ISB is one of the best.

Please help. I am very confused.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Please analyse my profile : Law + MBA

by mbamissionjenK Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for you post and background information. It sounds like you have a decent profile for consideration at reputable b-schools. The big question is, as you mentioned-- is the MBA right for you??

There are certainly professionals with both law degrees and MBA degrees, working in a variety of fields/areas. I think you may want to focus on what you would most like to pursue, what sort of role and area and industry, determine what your goals are, and THEN assess what is needed to get there, such as an MBA etc. If you have some ideas but are not sure, I'd consider trying to speak with professionals as well as any hiring managers if relevant, in potential roles and companies you'd consider working in. See about setting up 'informational interviews' to learn more about opportunities and try to assess whether the MBA will help you get there.

Good luck in making these important decisions! Keep us posted.
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
kristalharri
Forum Guests

by kristalharri Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:32 am

Well Yeah there are variety of professionals working both the degrees. Having an additional degree is not a bad idea at all. It will add a sort of additional advantage to your CV. According to me instead of going for the full time MBA you should get enrolled in a sort online MBA or Master Business Administration System program. The best thing of doing that would be try doing this along with the job. Gain some experience while working as an lawyer and then after completion of MBA try to find a manager's job !!!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:00 pm

[Please note that kristalharri is not affiliated with mbaMission, fyi, thanks!]
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php