Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
sachin.w
Forum Guests

Re: participle healing problem

by sachin.w Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:45 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
sachin.w Wrote:The right answer D has 'more' which is not followed by than..

There was another problem in which there's an idiom used-ever more.
So, it seems that more need not be followed by than unless it is being used in comparison..

Is my understanding correct?

it's still a comparison: the second response described is more localized than the "widespread swelling and stiffness" mentioned earlier in the sentence.

try writing your own sentence with the same sort of construction: e.g., You should thoroughly master parallelism and pronouns before you tackle more obscure concepts.
(= concepts that are more obscure than parallelism and pronouns)

Oh ok..Thanks Ron. . I understand ellipsis is being used here. .
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:04 am

sachin.w Wrote:Oh ok..Thanks Ron. . I understand ellipsis is being used here. .

right -- well, remember, it's not particularly important (or useful) to give these things fancy names.
just remember which constructions work (and how they work), and which don't.
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:51 am

lijingli401 Wrote:Unlike the body’s inflammatory response to cuts and sprains, with widespread swelling and stiffness immobilizing the injured area until it heals, the body’s response to sunburn is more localized and resulting in a distinct line dividing affected and unaffected areas of the skin.
A. with widespread swelling and stiffness immobilizing the injured area until it heals, the body’s response to sunburn is more localized and resulting
B. where the injured area is immobilized with widespread swelling and stiffness until it has healed, sunburn generates a more localized response in the body, which results instead
C. with the injured area immobilized by means of widespread swelling and stiffness until healing, sunburn generates a more localized response in the body, one resulting
D. in which widespread swelling and stiffness immobilize the injured area until it has healed, the body’s more localized response to sunburn results
E. in which widespread swelling and stiffness immobilize the injured area until healing, instead, the body’s more localized response to sunburn results

ANSWER:D
prep

but I do not understand why in D, until it has healed ? I do not know why here "has healed" is used.
And In E "until healing" is wrong or not and why?
thanks

the main problem with A is that "with widespread..." phrase is in the middile of the sentence and so is ambiguous. it can modifies the previous entity or the latter entity. This situation is exploited by gmat many times to play on us.

is my thinking correct.
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:23 pm

thanghnvn Wrote:the main problem with A is that "with widespread..." phrase is in the middile of the sentence and so is ambiguous. it can modifies the previous entity or the latter entity. This situation is exploited by gmat many times to play on us.

is my thinking correct.

The correct answer uses an adverbial modifier in the middle of the sentence, so it's usage must be ok. Using a "with" is not preferred, however, as Ron mentioned on the first page, A has a big parallelism issue. Refer to his post to see why.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
gauravmakkar84
Forum Guests

by gauravmakkar84 Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:18 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
lijingli401 Wrote:but I do not understand why in D, until it has healed ? I do not know why here "has healed" is used.

read #1 here
post58397.html#p58397

And In E "until healing" is wrong or not and why?
thanks

it's wrong, because "until healing" would apply to the subject "swelling and stiffness". those don't heal; the injured area does. therefore, you need a construction that changes the subject to "the injured area" -- or a pronoun that stands for those words, as in the actual correct answer.

Hi Ron,

Apart from the "until healing" error you mentioned in E, is "instead " redundant in option E?

Gaurav
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Yes. Because "unlike" is already there, "instead" is redundant.

Nicely done.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:31 am

That's not the only use of "until". For instance, "until" can also be followed by a noun (I can't go to the grocery store until Saturday).

Here, "it heals" is a complete sentence, so that's not the issue. That construction, though, can be attached to an action within a larger sentence, rather than to a larger sentence itself.
In other words, the use of "until" here is ok.

The same can be done with similar words.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:32 am

E.g.,
Because she had left her calculator at home, Shelley had to do the calculations by hand.
(= the usage you're talking about)

Also...
Forced to do the calculations by hand because she had left her calculator at home, Shelley took three times as long as she had planned to finish the task.
Correct sentence. Similar to the usage here.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:58 am

m1a2i3l Wrote:If not, what's the exact role 'as the company calls them' playing in the sentence from NY Times?

What's your understanding of that phrase? What can you figure out from context?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:41 am

Yep. That's the name given to those items by Planet Labs.

In general, you should be able to resolve most questions about meaning by yourself, by thinking carefully about context.
Tadashi
Forum Guests

by Tadashi Wed May 21, 2014 4:32 am

[A]Unlike the body’s inflammatory response to cuts and sprains, with widespread swelling and stiffness immobilizing the injured area until it heals, the body’s response to sunburn is more localized and resulting in a distinct line dividing affected and unaffected areas of the skin.

here is my reason why A is wrong.

IMO, "with + XX + doing sth. " is a adv. modifier. "Unlike the body’s inflammatory response to cuts and sprains," is a prep. phrase and not a complete sentence.
So, "with + XX + doing sth." is not appropriate.

need your confirmation, expert.
ARIGATO
Tadashi.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed May 21, 2014 5:52 pm

"With ___" can also describe nouns.

The injured dog, with only three legs, can run as fast as its healthy littermates.

The modifier should have some relationship to the following action, but there's nothing wrong with placing it after a noun.
HemantR606
Students

by HemantR606 Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:52 am

Hi Ron,

I have a doubt with 'in which'.

Do the restrictions applicable to the use of 'which' applicable to 'in which', 'for which', 'for the sake of which' etc?

By 'restrictions', I mean - the noun modified by 'which' should touch the 'which' or be separated by at most another noun and a preposition.
HemantR606
Students

by HemantR606 Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:08 pm

HemantR606 Wrote:Hi Ron,

I have a doubt with 'in which'.

Do the restrictions applicable to the use of 'which' applicable to 'in which', 'for which', 'for the sake of which' etc?

By 'restrictions', I mean - the noun modified by 'which' should touch the 'which' or be separated by at most another noun and a preposition.

Hi Ron,

I have found the explanation in https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/usage-of-in-which-t31026.html

I am trying to summarize what I have learnt from your explanation in that link:
(This summary is pretty much different from the way you have written)

1. The restrictions on 'which' differ with its use
- If 'which' is used for an essential modifier, the restriction written in red in the quote above applies.
- If 'which' is used for a non-essential modifier, 'which' will have as much freedom as 'that'.

2. The presence of comma dictates the category of the modifier - essential/nonessential

3. The freedom of 'in which', 'for which', 'for the sake of which' etc. is same as the freedom of 'which'.

Please let me know whether I have understood this concept correctly.

Thanks a lot in advance.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:37 am

in the standard US english used by GMAC, you will NEVER see 'NOUN which' without a comma. so, the distinction you've drawn in your point #1 does not exist.
('NOUN which...' is common in UK english, but the US standard is to use 'that'.)

the rest is essentially accurate, but largely superfluous for this exam (since you will NEVER be tested on 'should there be a comma here?').