If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!

Part Time Program /Evaulation Please.

by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:52 pm

Greetings,

I would like to apply for fall of 2008 but I may decide to extend it to 2009 becuase, I want to sumbit my best possible score since I have a low GPA. My target schools are USC, UCLA and LMU part time programs.

First, I'm 30 years old and a minority with a 2.78 GPA Univeristy and a Cumulative GPA of 2.67 from Cal State Univeristy Fullerton in Southern California.

I have worked full time throughout my educational experince and have paid part of my education. I began in community college in 1996 and eventually transferred to a CAl State in 2000 and graduated in 2004 in Political Science and a minor in Criminal Justice.

Since 1997, I have worked in the field of Transportation and Logistcs for a privately owned company for most of my young adult life. I have over 11 years of work experience and have moved my way up the ladder to supervisor (3 years) and my current managment position of 3 years plus.

Also, I have recently volunteered my labor to help decorate the Rose Parade float for "One Legacy" organ donation and have attended
"Aids Walk" to raise money. I've also been active in donating my own moeny to local schools so they can help purchase educational materials for young students.

As for my GMAT, I have a two more weeks to go until I finish the course and have taken my second practice test in which I scored a 520. I'm aiming to score around 650 - 700.

With all my experience coombined with GMAT and academics, what would be my bottom score to get into my first two choice schools? Any other advice and information will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Jason
MBA Mission

Re: Part Time Program /Evaulation Please.

by MBA Mission Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Jason,

Thanks for your inquiry.

The admissions process is not scientific - one can’t really point to a score with which a candidate will (or won’t) get in. It would be absurd to say, "If you have a 620 you are in, but if you have a 610, you don’t stand a chance."

Looking at your profile in general, you have solid work experience with a record of promotions and you have good, but not outstanding community-service. Meanwhile, you have a low GPA , so it is important that you bolster your academic profile with a strong GMAT score - otherwise, the schools, which will question whether you have the capacity to manage the MBA curriculum. Again, while I am averse to picking a specific number, your range of 650-700 is reasonable. With a score in this range, you should be able to challenge for a place at the schools of your choice.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Shinewald
MBA Mission

www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

Anonymous Wrote:Greetings,

I would like to apply for fall of 2008 but I may decide to extend it to 2009 becuase, I want to sumbit my best possible score since I have a low GPA. My target schools are USC, UCLA and LMU part time programs.

First, I'm 30 years old and a minority with a 2.78 GPA Univeristy and a Cumulative GPA of 2.67 from Cal State Univeristy Fullerton in Southern California.

I have worked full time throughout my educational experince and have paid part of my education. I began in community college in 1996 and eventually transferred to a CAl State in 2000 and graduated in 2004 in Political Science and a minor in Criminal Justice.

Since 1997, I have worked in the field of Transportation and Logistcs for a privately owned company for most of my young adult life. I have over 11 years of work experience and have moved my way up the ladder to supervisor (3 years) and my current managment position of 3 years plus.

Also, I have recently volunteered my labor to help decorate the Rose Parade float for "One Legacy" organ donation and have attended
"Aids Walk" to raise money. I've also been active in donating my own moeny to local schools so they can help purchase educational materials for young students.

As for my GMAT, I have a two more weeks to go until I finish the course and have taken my second practice test in which I scored a 520. I'm aiming to score around 650 - 700.

With all my experience coombined with GMAT and academics, what would be my bottom score to get into my first two choice schools? Any other advice and information will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Jason