Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
jp.jprasanna
Students

Re:

by jp.jprasanna Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:32 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
Pathik Wrote:B) enrollment, with a number of students in public schools growing steadily since the mid-1980'and, at nearly 47 million, reaching

B has two issues
1) adverbial clause "with....." incorrectly modifies " spending is"... does not make sense
2) a number of students .. growing... - Students are not growing, the number of students is.

Pathik

good explanation.

let me emphasize: 'a number of students' is incorrect; it has two possible interpretations, neither of which makes any sense:
(1) the idiomatic expression 'a number of', roughly equivalent to 'several' - meaning that several students have gotten fatter and fatter and fatter;
(2) 'a number' of students - meaning some random, arbitrary number of students.
both bad.

hi Ron - In option B - Isn't growing and reaching modifying schools rather than students.

If not could you please show us how growing & reaching are modifying students.

enrollment, with a number of students in public schools growing steadily since the mid-1980's and, at nearly 47
million, reaching

Cheers
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Re:

by RonPurewal Mon May 07, 2012 2:47 am

jp.jprasanna Wrote:hi Ron - In option B - Isn't growing and reaching modifying schools rather than students.

that would be another incorrect interpretation, so there's no issue there.
the overall construction here is with + noun + VERBing.... so i'm parsing it as with + (noun + prep phrase) + VERBing...

all of the possible interpretations are nonsense, though, so in the end it's a non-issue.
vijay19839
Students

Re: Part of the proposed increase in state education spending

by vijay19839 Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:21 pm

Ron

I have attached your two posts in the below quote:-

I am little confused between post1 and Post 2 (latest post in this thread). I know option B is wrong for various other reasons but I need your help in understanding the VERBING Modifier rule. Here in Option B, we have

".....comma + with a number of students in public schools growing steadily since the ...."

I thought here GROWING (VERBING) modifies the preceding Noun (schools) but as per one of your later posts it is little confusing.

Thanks
Vijay

RonPurewal Wrote:
Post1:-
by the way, there are other ways to eliminate that choice; for instance, the modifier "growing steadily" mistakenly indicates that the schools themselves (rather than the number of students) are what's growing.

Post2:-
that would be another incorrect interpretation, so there's no issue there.
the overall construction here is with + noun + VERBing.... so i'm parsing it as with + (noun + prep phrase) + VERBing...

all of the possible interpretations are nonsense, though, so in the end it's a non-issue.

[/quote]
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:59 am

i don't think there's a problem letting "growing" modify "number", but as Ron said, there are other ways to deal with the answer choice in question rather than trying to figure out what "growing" can and can't modify. i prefer to err on the side of caution - if you can't be 100% sure an answer choice is wrong with one rule, find another rule you can be sure of..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
PudGe
Students

by PudGe Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi Tim/Ron,
Can you throw some light on the issues with the original sentence (choice A). I wasnt able to find one :(

Thanks in advance.

P.S: Thanks for this wonderful forum!i am a real beneficiary.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:07 am

PudGe Wrote:Hi Tim/Ron,
Can you throw some light on the issues with the original sentence (choice A). I wasnt able to find one :(

"the number of students" is singular (because it represents a single number), but appears in choice (a) as the subject of two plural verbs.
sachin.w
Forum Guests

Re: couldn't understand

by sachin.w Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:48 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
namurad Wrote:
Pathik Wrote:B) enrollment, with a number of students in public schools growing steadily since the mid-1980'and, at nearly 47 million, reaching

B has two issues
1) adverbial clause "with....." incorrectly modifies " spending is"... does not make sense
2) a number of students .. growing... - Students are not growing, the number of students is.

Pathik

I am sorry i didn't understand this. Could you please explain
1. why "with.." is an adverbial clause
2. How is it (incorrectly) modifying "spending is.."

na

1) when prepositional phrases follow commas, they are adverbial modifiers (which modify the action or main verb of the preceding clause)
2) that's the action / main verb of the preceding clause

Ron,
I guess 'is' is the main verb and 'spending' is a part of the subject which is

'Part of the proposed increase in state education spending'

It seems as if spending is acting as a gerund here.
Kindly help.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: couldn't understand

by RonPurewal Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:55 pm

sachin.w Wrote:'Part of the proposed increase in state education spending'

It seems as if spending is acting as a gerund here.
Kindly help.

"education spending" = adjective + noun. it's basically the same thing as "educational expenses".

this whole thing is pretty common, by the way -- i.e., nouns can be turned into adjectives by being placed in front of other nouns.
for instance, "highway" is normally a noun, but in the construction "highway signs" it is an adjective.
messi10
Course Students

by messi10 Fri May 10, 2013 9:26 am

Hi Ron, instructors,

I have a query on choice B, specifically the modifier:

B. enrollment, with a number of students in public schools growing steadily since the mid-1980’s and, at nearly 47 million, reaching

I know that B is wrong for many reasons and I didn't have any problems eliminating it. But when I was cross checking my reasons for crossing out answer choices, I came across this post:

Parthik Wrote:B has two issues

I actually thought that this part of B was correct because its a prepositional modifier acting as an adverbial modifier and is explaining how the part of the proposed increase in educational spending is due to high enrollment.

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 13, 2013 7:16 am

messi10 Wrote:I actually thought that this part of B was correct because its a prepositional modifier acting as an adverbial modifier and is explaining how the part of the proposed increase in educational spending is due to high enrollment.

Thanks

Without getting into grammatical terminology (which isn't going to help anyone), here's a basic explanation of how that construction works.
When you have "with + noun + VERBing...", that part should describe some aspect, part, or consequence of the stuff that precedes it -- but shouldn't summarize the whole thing.

e.g.
Foundation X received over $1 million in donations last year, with over $500,000 coming from a single anonymous donor.
--> this works, because the 500k is not the whole amount of the donations; it's just a part.

Here, the part after "with" IS the higher enrollment, so "with" is inappropriate. That's a direct explanation, so you want the colon.
kiranck007
Prospective Students

by kiranck007 Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:45 am

Deleted the text.
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

Re:

by thanghnvn Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:30 am

RonPurewal Wrote:

B has two issues

Pathik

good explanation.

let me emphasize: 'a number of students' is incorrect; it has two possible interpretations, neither of which makes any sense:
(1) the idiomatic expression 'a number of', roughly equivalent to 'several' - meaning that several students have gotten fatter and fatter and fatter;
(2) 'a number' of students - meaning some random, arbitrary number of students.
both bad.

let me explain why B is wrong.

according to grammar books,in the pattern following
("with+noun+doing/do-ed"), + main clause

the phrase "with...", called "absolute", is adverbial of the main clause, which show: reason, condition, or detail of the action in main clause.

the main problem with B is tense. "growing since" must be silmultaneously grammartically with the main verb. This is not logic.

is my thinking correct?

this question, I think, is hard. tense problem is tested offten on gmat.
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:57 pm

Your explanation looks very similar to that of Ron's earlier in this thread. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
abhasjha
Students

Re:

by abhasjha Mon May 12, 2014 2:46 am

Dear Ron ,

Is not option C wrong because it uses since in place of because . I am talking about ... "since students in public schools have grown "

from whatever i have read - here is the distinction between since and because:

"Since Paul left university last year, he has no academic qualification."

When you start to read this sentence, it seems to mean "Ever since/from the time he left last year,..."

but it really means "Because he dropped out of university, he has no degree."

in short , since= passage of time
because = cause

Can i use this distinction (difference between because and since )to eliminate choice C?
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Re:

by RonPurewal Mon May 12, 2014 4:29 pm

"Since" can also mean "because".

See problem #1 in the OG13 sentence correction chapter.