Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
irr5
Forum Guests

Parker - Medical Missionary RC question (help!)

by irr5 Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:12 am

In April 1841, medical missionary Reverend Peter Parker, M.D., addressed an enthusiastic audience gathered at a special meeting of the Boston Medical Association. His subject was "the condition and prospects of the hospitals of China." He described his own work at the hospital he had established in the foreign factory district outside the city walls of Canton where he offered free treatment for both rich and poor. At P’u Ai I Yuan (Hospital of Universal Love, as it was known in Chinese) Parker and his colleagues used western surgical techniques as a means to facilitate religious conversion. Medicine, Parker believed, could be the "handmaid of religious truth," and he held regular religious services for his patients.
While he had, at best, modest success attracting converts to Christianity, the hospital had fostered tremendous goodwill among the Chinese. It was a bright spot amid the gloomy period of Western-Chinese tension that led to the outbreak of the Opium Wars between Great Britain and China. Forced to flee Canton because of these rising hostilities, Parker returned to the United States to raise money and interest in his operations. In the spring of 1841, he spoke to many religious societies, a few medical bodies, and even the United States Congress, where he preached to members of the House and Senate and lobbied legislators on the need for diplomatic relations with China.
In his talks, Parker described the state of medical and surgical knowledge--or, rather, scientific ignorance--in China. Despite the surgical feats of legendary ancient doctors such as Hua T’o of the third century A.D., surgery did not develop to any great extent in China. Some accounts attribute this to Confucian precepts about the integrity of the body and proscriptions against any form of mutilation or dismemberment; others emphasize the pharmacological tendencies within traditional Chinese medicine and a preference for moxas and other caustic plasters.
Whatever the cause, it was undoubtedly the case that Parker’s surgical practice tapped into a huge unmet need. Almost as soon as he opened his Ophthalmic Hospital in Canton, as it was known in English, he acquired a reputation as a surgeon of such skill that the hospital quickly became a general hospital. Parker and his small staff handled thousands of cases each year, treating more than fifty thousand cases by the 1850s. His hospital became the model for other medical missions, and Parker and his British colleagues formed the Medical Missionary Society of China to coordinate the efforts of all the western hospitals springing up in the trading ports of Asia. Parker earned his reputation performing operations to remove tumors and cataracts--forms of surgery with relatively good odds of success and ones that could be accomplished quickly, important in an era without anesthetics. Because of the absence of surgery in China, a large number of patients were afflicted with mature tumors (typically five to thirty-five years old) of a size seldom seen in Europe or the United States. Parker was able to help these patients in ways previously thought impossible in China. He has thus been credited with bringing Western medicine to the most populous country on Earth.

According to the passage, all of the following are true of Peter Parker EXCEPT

(A) He was skilled as a surgeon.

(B) He believed that the poor deserved quality medical treatment.

(Correct) (C) He felt disdain for the medical practices of nineteenth century China.

(D) He lobbied intensely to bring Western medical knowledge to China.

(E) He did not achieve his missionary goals in China.

Here are the official explanations for why C is "right" and B is "wrong":

(B) In the first paragraph, the passage states that Parker "offered free treatment for both rich and poor," so he must have believe that all deserved quality medical treatment.

(C) CORRECT. While Parker did not feel that that nineteenth century Chinese medical practices were advanced, the passage never mentions an emotion similar to "disdain" in describing Parker's feelings towards these practices.

Here's my issue with this: The passage does state that he offered free treatment for both the rich and poor. That does NOT mean that he believes that the poor "deserve" quality medical treatment in principle. For example, there are many conservatives who believe that healthcare is not a right, and so therefore, nobody "deserves" medical treatment. Thus, he could be offering treatment to the poor for a different reason than the one stated...and it's easy to spot a very plausible ulterior motive, given that he's a pastor on a mission trip: he's trying to convert people and he expands his reach by offering services to the poor, along with the rich. Thus, his choice to offer services to the poor is not necessarily contingent on the belief given in answer B.

Therefore, I chose B for this question. I noticed that disdain is probably too strong of a word to use to describe his attitude toward Chinese medical practices. He definitely doesn't think highly of their practices though, as he refers to them as being tantamount to "scientific ignorance." It might be a bit of a stretch to say he disdains the medical practices; however, I felt that answer B was more correct than answer C.

Thoughts?
tim
Course Students

Re: Parker - Medical Missionary RC question (help!)

by tim Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:36 pm

you bring up a good point about an alternate interpretation of the word "deserve" that would cast some uncertainty on whether B was a valid answer. however, i can think of NO possible interpretation of "disdain" that would make C incorrect. so in this sense, even if you think B *could* be *plausible*, C is *definitely* correct and thus a far better answer..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
cbjohn1
Forum Guests

by cbjohn1 Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:12 am

I would lean towards B because of this passage:

In his talks, Parker described the state of medical and surgical knowledge--or, rather, scientific ignorance--in China.

To me that is a lot closer to implying disdain than "providing free medical services to the poor" is to implying belief in their right to quality healthcare.

Frankly, neither is a very good answer and this question is pretty bad.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:31 pm

"Ignorance" is not a judgment. It's factual. It just means 'lack of knowledge."

This factual lack of knowledge is detailed in the immediately following text (surgery had not developed, etc.) It's a thing.

That's enough to eliminate C.
cbjohn1
Forum Guests

by cbjohn1 Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:41 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:"Ignorance" is not a judgment. It's factual. It just means 'lack of knowledge."

This factual lack of knowledge is detailed in the immediately following text (surgery had not developed, etc.) It's a thing.

That's enough to eliminate C.

You could make the same argument to eliminate B. Simply providing services for the poor does not equate to belief that they deserved equal care.

I can't think of any definition of "provide" or "belief" that would allow one to make that leap in logic.
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:09 pm

cbjohn1 Wrote:You could make the same argument to eliminate B. Simply providing services for the poor does not equate to belief that they deserved equal care.

I can't think of any definition of "provide" or "belief" that would allow one to make that leap in logic.

First off, it doesn't say "deserved equal care", but rather, "deserved quality treatment". The passage says that he offered free treatment to both rich and poor. I agree that there's a scenario where someone could offer something without believing that they deserve it (small jump in logic), but there's a much larger jump in logic when you say Parker felt disdain towards anything. These types of judgment answer choices tend to be incorrect on test day.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Ravi Kant
Students

by Ravi Kant Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Its a poor question and in my opinion B is better than C.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:23 pm

For verbal problems to be hard, they need to play on nuances of meaning. Why do you think option B is better than C?