Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
JbhB682
Course Students

Parallelism question

by JbhB682 Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:38 am

Hi Experts :

Had a question on this sentence (seen on a Ron Purewal teaching module) ...the sentence is completely made up

Following statement is considered not parallel : Hand signs that natives use and appear in local rituals

Now - i agree if the following were the markers (underlined) -- it is not parallel

Incorrect : Hand signs that natives use and appear in local rituals

Question - Why can't the parallel markers be the following for the same statement INSTEAD --- if the following were markers instead -- they look parallel to me ....Could you please confirm where am i going wrong ?

Hand signs that natives use and appear in local rituals

Is the red wrong because the X marker begins with a noun (Natives) whereas the Y marker in this case begins with a verb ("Appear")
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Parallelism question

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:39 am

This is very specific. I have no idea what the point of this example is, or even what the complete sentence is.

I agree with you that if we considered the root phrase of the parallel structure to be 'hand signs that', then the phrase would be parallel. However, remember that clarity of meaning is the point of good grammar. The phrase would probably be clearer if it ran 'hand signs that natives use and that appear' The addition of an extra 'that' would show the parallel structure more clearly.