Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Re:

by RonPurewal Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:43 am

there's no "correct" form of that construction here. that verb form doesn't make any sense in this context, so, it's going to be wrong no matter how you try to write it.
XUEY191
Students

Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punish

by XUEY191 Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:40 am

After reading 10 pages of discussions, I still cannot convince myself that the correct answer is correct... Can we make things easier and think this way:
This is the most difficult type of SC questions (750+). So if this type of questions show up in the exam, just pick the one you think is correct because most likely you are in the "hard question bank". Over.

I apologize for summarizing the 10 pages of efforts into the above words, but I am trying to maximize my time spending on preparing GMAT. I believe spending too much time on questions like these do no good to one's overall GMAT performance.

GMAT Staffs, do you agree?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:02 am

I like your pragmatic attitude! I think that you're right - it's easy to spend too long on one problem when studying. After all, the aim of studying is to learn and improve. If that's not happening, then move on. However, it's always worth looking for some answers that we can eliminate. Especially with SC, we can usually eliminate 2 or 3 answers quite easily.
WenshanW541
Students

by WenshanW541 Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi Manhattan Instructor,

I think choices A and B are wrong because "that A United States citizen hold" is wrong, since hold should be either "held" or "holds" --- singular verb. Please help. Thanks in advance.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:25 am

Even with that change answers A and B wouldn't be correct. The big issue here is wrong idiom: 'a crime that a citizen VERB'.

Answers A and B are trying to tempt you with command subjunctive, a structure that can be correct in other circumstances. The sentence 'The soldier demanded that he step backwards.' is totally fine. Check out chapter 12 of the SC strategy guide.
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:11 am

Sage - need more clarity on your previous statement

1) You mentioned its an idiom issue specifically : a crime that a citizen VERB

a) Where is this mentioned in the strategy guide regarding this idiom per se ? .....I am not sure i am seeing this under the idioms' chapter

b) Are you saying the following statement is thus also false (i have the structure in bold)

In Country X, it is a crime that a citizen hold another citizen's arm in public

2) It's mentioned that A and B are subjunctive

a) is this because of the structure --- THAT + United States citizen + hold ?

b) If so -- is this wrong because A and B are missing bossy verbs (example : Demanded / Required / Mandate ......)

? Is that the reason specifically why A and B are wrong -- i.e. missing bossy verbs with this construction ?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:01 pm

a) Where is this mentioned in the strategy guide regarding this idiom per se ? .....I am not sure i am seeing this under the idioms' chapter
We can't possibly list all the wrong idioms that GMAT will throw at you. We've picked out ones that we've found most common.

b) Are you saying the following statement is thus also false (i have the structure in bold)
In Country X, it is a crime that a citizen hold another citizen's arm in public

Yes, I mean that this sentence is grammatically incorrect.

2) It's mentioned that A and B are subjunctive
a) is this because of the structure --- THAT + United States citizen + hold ?

My point was that answers A and B look like command subjunctive constructions, but are in fact incorrect.

b) If so -- is this wrong because A and B are missing bossy verbs (example : Demanded / Required / Mandate ......)

Yes, that's right: a correct command subjunctive construction needs one of those verbs.