Math questions and topics from the Official Guide and Quantitative Review books. Please try to follow the posting pattern (e.g. OG - DS - #142) to allow for easier searches. Questions posted in the GMAT Math section regarding the OG have been moved here.
greenpepper

OG - PS - #88

by greenpepper Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:24 pm

A necklace is made by stringing N individual beads together in the repeating pattern red bead, green bead, white bead, blue bead and yellow bead. If the necklace design begins with a red bead and ends with a white beac, then N could euqal

A. 16
B. 32
C. 41
D. 54
E. 68

According to the answer, the number of beads in this design is 3 more than some multiple of 5. This can be expressed as 5n+3, where n is an integer. I don't understand this explanation. Thank you.
givemeanid

by givemeanid Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:49 pm

RGWBY is the bead pattern and it repeats. So, the 3rd, 8th, 13th, 18th... beads will be W.
(This is similar to an AP series). So, number of beads - 3 has to be divisible by 5 for it to be a White bead. 68 - 3 = 65 = 5*13. Answer is E.
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by dbernst Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:39 am

givemeanid, thanks for the explanation!
-dan
greenpepper

by greenpepper Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:27 pm

Thank you, givemeanid.

greenpepper
shaftbmf

further explaination?

by shaftbmf Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:05 pm

i recognize that this is a combinatorics problem but it is still unclear. Can i get a fuller explanation on the approach? I don't understand how you get 68? :?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:55 pm

It's actually a sequences question - you want to use the pattern to get to the answer.

The pattern is RGWBY RGWBY RGWBY etc (keeps repeating)
So, for example, the red beads are #1, #(1+5), #(1+5+5), etc, or 1, 6, 11, etc.
The green beads are #2, #(2+5), #(2+5+5), etc, or 2, 6, 12, etc
and so on for the other colors

We want to find what N could be, and N represents the last bead. We're told the last bead is white, so what are the options for white? #3, #(3+5), #(3+5+5), etc, or 3, 8, 13, etc.

I can figure out what works from my answer choices in two different ways.

The easiest way (unique to this problem set-up): each time, I'm adding 5. So, for N, it could be 3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28... noticing a pattern? It always ends with either 3 or 8. The only answer choice that ends with either 3 or 8 is E.

The common way (can use on any problem of this type) is to set it up algebraically. For white, I start with 3 and then each time I add 5 more. That can be expressed as 3 + 5x. The first white bead is just at 3, the second white bead is at 3 + 5(1) = 8, the third white bead is at 3 + 5(2) = 13, and so on. This means the answer will be 3 + some multiple of 5. Subtract 3 from every answer choice. The right answer should be a multiple of 5 (because we've removed the first 3). Only E fits this requirement.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep