Discuss the pros and cons of individual programs, and their admissions criteria, with your peers here.
mamipajami

NYU Stern Part-Time

by mamipajami Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:43 am

I was recently admitted to NYU Stern's Part-Time program and am curious to hear what others think of this program. Although it is rated #1 by US News & World Report I have read constant negative comments regarding its policy not to let part-time students take part in recruiting activites with Full-time students, which is not the same as other schools. I realize I am supposed to be going to school part-time because I already have a job, but that doesn't mean I won't want a better job once I graduate.

Thoughts?
david_malomo
Course Students

Re: NYU Stern Part-Time

by david_malomo Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:12 am

This can be a pain. There are a few other programs that do not allow part time students recruit with full time students. NYU will not allow this and this rule cannot be by passed. NYU has CWP or something like that for working professional to assist you. NYU is still ranked #1 part time program so you just have to decide if this program is for you.
mamipajami

by mamipajami Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:56 am

David - Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware of their Career Center for Working Professionals (CCWP), so that makes me feel a tad better.

I still feel that since the Part-Timers are paying even more in tuition than the Full-Timers, there should be some sort of equality here. I love the academics and location of Stern, I just am concerned about spending all this money not to have a good opportunity, which is in my opinion why I'm going to school to begin with.
david_malomo
Course Students

by david_malomo Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:24 pm

I understand you, but the full time program determines NYU's MBA ranking. Schools do not joke with these rankings and tend to devote adequate time and resources to the full time program. HAve you given a full time program any thoughts??? You might want to weigh both.
mamipajami

by mamipajami Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:42 pm

I am applying to a few full-time programs as well. I do like my job but have no idea where the company is headed in the next 3 years and would prefer to have some stable footing when I graduate. I will take some more time to consider my options. Thank you for the help.
richardbattlebaxter
Course Students

by richardbattlebaxter Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:09 pm

I know I'm responding after the fact but I figured I would offer some further insight. My good friend was admitted to the Langone program and will be starting this month. He posed a similar question while he was meeting with some people NYU. Basically what he told me was that it's bad enough that NYU students have to compete with each other for certain positions, but imagine if they had to be at a recruiting event with X amount of other people who currently have jobs. This would diminish their opportunities significantly. Stern has a hard time as it is trying to consistently remain in the top 15 B-schools and post-graduate placement is KEY for the rankings, as suggested prior. I believe Langone will always remain the top PT program in the country due to its location.
mamipajami

by mamipajami Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks Richard. Your response is much appreciated. For me this boils down to two things:

1. If you're looking to get a new job after business school (especially in a city different than your school), go to a full-time program or expect to look for a job on your own.
2. PT rankings are really not all that important. Location and program flexibility (i.e., weeknights vs. weekends) play an increased role in your PT business school decision.

I will be attending NYU in the Spring and hope to utilize the network of students and professors to help me potentially find a job post-graduation.
vh467926
Students

by vh467926 Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi there!
I am interested in applying to NYU Part-time MBA (Saturday program) this Spring. I took Manhattan GMAT and sad enough I did not get that magic 700 I dreamed about. I scored 600 and I am not sure which direction I should go now: should I retake GMAT this summer and apply in the Fall 2010 for next year or should I still try to apply this Spring 2010 for Fall 2010 class? Can anyone please give me an advice whether it is wise to try to apply with 600 GMAT, 3.9 GPA and 4+ yrs. professional experience? I am not from NYC (I live in NJ/PA) and I work full-time in DE (commuting every day between states). My big dream is to get into NYU part-time MBA and go to school on Saturdays. What should I do? Wait, retake the GMAT or apply now?
Any thoughts from your experience?
P.S. I do not and will not apply to any other school/program.
Thanks!
thatsku
Course Students

by thatsku Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:21 pm

vh467926 Wrote:Hi there!
I am interested in applying to NYU Part-time MBA (Saturday program) this Spring. I took Manhattan GMAT and sad enough I did not get that magic 700 I dreamed about. I scored 600 and I am not sure which direction I should go now: should I retake GMAT this summer and apply in the Fall 2010 for next year or should I still try to apply this Spring 2010 for Fall 2010 class? Can anyone please give me an advice whether it is wise to try to apply with 600 GMAT, 3.9 GPA and 4+ yrs. professional experience? I am not from NYC (I live in NJ/PA) and I work full-time in DE (commuting every day between states). My big dream is to get into NYU part-time MBA and go to school on Saturdays. What should I do? Wait, retake the GMAT or apply now?
Any thoughts from your experience?
P.S. I do not and will not apply to any other school/program.
Thanks!

I understand that everyone has their dream MBA program, but why the aversion towards other programs?

You say you have 4+ yrs of exp, but would you care to elaborate a bit more on the professional experience?

I'm no adcom, but I suspect your 600 may be on the low side...
eftal
Students

by eftal Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:05 pm

Take the GMAT again. You are close to 80%...just need to pull up your score a bit. I got in with 640, and NYU was the only school I applied. I would not dream about applying with 600 - which WAS my first gmat result. You can do it...if you are serious, work harder and re-do.
info
Forum Guests

by info Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Yes its wise to retake GMAT again. NYU or for that matter most of the top ranking colleges are a bit tough at 600. Try the magic 700, that makes everything smooth.

Dream hard, work harder.