If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
Buysider

Need to develop secondary transcript?

by Buysider Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:10 pm

I am currently 28 yrs old and am a fixed income trader (3 years experience with increasing responsibility for investment decisions) at a very large mutual fund company.

Undergrad GPA: 3.0 from tier 2 state school
GMAT: Yet to take, but expecting ~700
Other: CFA charterholder, executive board position at volunteer organization

Looking at schools in the 8-15 range for finance. Trying to decide if the CFA charter proves my dedication to my career and education enough to overshadow weak undergrad GPA or if taking a class or 2 is highly advisable.

Thx.

by Guest Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:31 pm

To be safe, take a class or two. It's not just the grade, but the effort that matters.

Most adcoms know what the CFA is (the tests have been a money maker in various 3rd world countries and wannabe finance folks - even though it was originally designed for people like you who *actually* work in a capacity where it is actually useful). However, it's seen as a professional designation, much like a CPA. They don't really see it as an "equalizer" or a counterpoint to a low GPA as much as actually taking a real class (I know what you're thinking about that college extension courses aren't the same as the CFA, but still.. we're talking about school administrators here that are making decisions on your MBA candidacy).

Good luck

Alex
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com