Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
cephaslr

Nearly 2000 years after its initial construction, (SC)

by cephaslr Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Nearly 2000 years after its initial construction, the United Nations declared the Roman aqueduct of Segovia to be a Heritage of Humanity in 1985, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating.

(a)Nearly 2000 years after its initial construction, the United Nations declared the Roman aqueduct of Segovia to be a Heritage of Humanity in 1985, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating.
(b)Since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier, the Roman aqueduct of Segovia had been deteriorating, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations after the United Nations declared the aqueduct to be a Heritage of Humanity in 1985.
(c)After being declared a Heritage of Humanity by the United Nations in 1985, the Spanish government began renovations on the Roman aqueduct of Segovia, which had been deteriorating since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier.
(d)In 1985, the United Nations declared the Roman Aqueduct of Segovia to be a Heritage of Humanity and prompted the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier.
(e)In 1985, the United Nations declared the Roman aqueduct of Segovia a Heritage of Humanity, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier.

OA. E

In the official answer, there is no Coordination Conjunction or Subordinator between what I assume is the main clause "the United Nations ... " and the next dependent clause "prompting the Spanish government...". I just read chap 10 in my MGMAT SC bible, 3rd edition, which says I need conjuntions and subordinators? Thanks in advance
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Nearly 2000 years after its initial construction, (SC)

by RonPurewal Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:48 am

that's not a clause; it's a participial modifier.

if you've taken our course, there's a whole series of slides on "-ING plus comma", in which the function of these types of modifiers is explained in detail. if you haven't, you should refer to the appropriate part of the "modifiers" chapter of the SC strategy guide.

remember, above all, that -ING constructions are not verbs.
kean.allison
Course Students

by kean.allison Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Doesn't the correct answer incorrectly change the meaning of the sentence? The original sentence does not say that the aqueduct has been deteriorating since it's construction...
Ben Ku
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by Ben Ku Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:30 am

I don't think you can say whether it correctly or incorrectly changes the meaning. The original sentence only states that the aqueduct has been deteriorating; however the new sentence merely states that it has been since its construction. By saying it has been deteriorating since its construction is not incorrect. I think this meaning shift is subtle enough to not affect the intent of the original sentence.
Ben Ku
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT