The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
pragr

My GMAT Score 720 (Q 49, V 40)

by pragr Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:30 am

Just finished GMAT a few hours back. It was not a pleasurable experience for me. I think I messed up a lot of things. I targeted for 750+ but I bungled my test.

My AWA was ok, the "Analysis of Issue" topic was the one I already saw in Kaplan but didnt attempt it that time.

My quant was disaster. I started off with a very slow start, giving more time to easy questions so as not to make silly mistakes. But that started biting me back later when the questions started becoming difficult and I started feeling the pinch of time. I had to random pick the answer a few times to pace up. Finally I had around 25 questions in hand and 30 minutes to spare. I dont know how I did it but I managed to complete the test 25 secs early.

So I decided not to do the same mistake in verbal and was almost under control when a nasty molecular biology passage broke my rhythm and placed me in the red. Again there were some 11 questions in hand and 15 minutes to spare. To my bad luck, I clicked the answer for the last question but before I can commit it, time was over. There were some CR questions for which I could not lay my finger on any answer. That was very weird for me.

I guess where I went wrong was not to do enough tests that are hard. I did a few Princeton Review tests and Kaplan tests but never encountered the timing issue as I encountered in GMAT. However, I never managed to get past 710 in all my practice tests. My GMATPrep score were 700 and 690.

Here are some preparation tips from my side:

1. For SC, do OG first, then ransack the MGMAT forums and then come back to OG and rediscover it. This process helped me a lot in building a good SC base. MGMAT forums have a good dissection of SC problems.

2. For CR, practice more on the argument types (eg circular arguments, causal arguments etc) than on the question type (eg strength, weakness, inference etc).

3. For RC, its your luck and interest in the passage I would say. POE works best there.

4. For Quant, do hard problems and make them a habit. Try to do them in a timed manner and in a bunch so you dont panic when you see them in the test.

5. Practice a lot of hard tests. Dont think they do not represent actual GMAT, they may not represent GMAT in soul but they represent it in spirit.

Best of luck for you guys out there who are going to attempt the test in near future.
H_to_750

Congrats and thanks for the post

by H_to_750 Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:51 pm

you recived an excelent score. Be happy not upset. Good Luck applying