If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
maolivie

My Chances...

by maolivie Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:19 pm

Hello, I'm just curious as to see what my chances are of getting into some of these schools. I know my score is borderline 80% range, but that didn't hold me back since I feel my application and essays and recs are very strong. Here it goes:

GMAT - 640 (78%) - 47 Q (81%) - 31 V (60 %) - 6.0 AWA ( 89%)
GPA - 3.2 - this is cumulative from all of my undergraduate institutions, 3 in total. Suffolk Community College, New York University, and Stony Brook University. Economics major

I'm 21 years old and have been working 40 hours a week for the past two years at UBS Investment Bank as a compliance analyst. I deal with accounting, finance analyzing, due diligence, etc. I got the job while at NYU because I guess they thought I was smart.
I also work as a manager at a top restaurant at nights
and I also created my own start-up company, accuinvestor.com. We deal with market research, trading education, etc. I have created my own derivative trading models based on mathematical equations. This is my reason for an MBA, I want to switch from compliance to derivative trading professionally. We generate income from advertising campaigns and a book that I personally wrote. I've received buyout offers for around 65k for the site from venture capitalists.
On top of all of this, I go to school full-time. So my life is very hectic, and thus the reason for my low GPA and GMAT scores. I clarified this point in the optional essay

1- New Orleans Missions trip
Leader of my group
2- Platoon Commander
Naval Academy Preparatory School
Elected position by the Cadre and administration
3- Varsity Lacrosse
Co-Captain
4- Honors Club
Suffolk County C.C.
5- Varsity Lacrosse
Suffolk County C.C.
Co-Captain

Here are some achievements:
Professional Achievements
-Anti-Money Laundering certificate
-Assigned the project leader for 2007 Account audits at UBS Investment Bank North
America. This includes analyzing over 5,000 accounts.
-Platoon Commander of Company 2, Platoon 1
Elected position by the Cadre and the administration
A leader of 56 other students
-Received the National Defense Medal while at the Naval Academy Preparatory School
Publications & Creative Work
-I wrote an investing Polemic on Fundamental Analysis. It is sold on my website,
AccuInvestor.com. Over 300 copies have been sold and I received the Yahoo Finance
Alpha Badge, which is a certification for quantitative knowledge, for the work.
-AccuInvestor.com has top ranked searches by Google, and has over 235 registered
members.
Inventions
-Invented, developed, and copyrighted many unique derivative trading models for the
foreign exchange market. They can be found on my site -
http://www.accuinvestor.com/Covarient-Strategies/
The strategies measure the covariance between two inter-related derivatives to determine
market entry timing. Hence, they are called inverse and covariant trading strategies.
Societies
-Honors Society at Suffolk C.C.
Scholarly Achievements
-Made the Dean’s List two semesters in a row while at Suffolk C.C.
-Made the Dean’s List at Stony Brook University
-Honors credit at Suffolk C.C.
Scholarships
-Received a half-ride academic scholarship through New York University’s CCTOP
program.

Do you think I have a shot considering my age, work experience, leadership roles, gmat and grades? I'm applying to CMU Tepper, Columbia, NYU, Yale, UNC, Darden, and Georgetown.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post!
MBAApply

by MBAApply Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:48 pm

If you put together a strong application, you should be competitive for the schools you mentioned.

Just give it your best shot. Worst case, you don't get in and you reapply next year. It's not like you're going to be old and burnt out by the age of ...22.

Alex
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com
maolivie

by maolivie Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:58 pm

thanks!
MBA Mission

Re: My Chances...

by MBA Mission Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:14 pm

Thank you for your inquiry.

In short, I think that you have standout credentials that should allow you to overcome your low scores. I don’t think that you will get accepted by all of the schools of your choice, but your application will be somewhat unpredictable. It will be a binary event - either the school will believe that you are a whiz-kid and not want to take the chance of missing the opportunity or they will take a pass. I don’t think that they will measure your candidacy via the field or their averages, because you don’t fit any mold.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Shinewald
MBA Mission

www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

maolivie Wrote:Hello, I'm just curious as to see what my chances are of getting into some of these schools. I know my score is borderline 80% range, but that didn't hold me back since I feel my application and essays and recs are very strong. Here it goes:

GMAT - 640 (78%) - 47 Q (81%) - 31 V (60 %) - 6.0 AWA ( 89%)
GPA - 3.2 - this is cumulative from all of my undergraduate institutions, 3 in total. Suffolk Community College, New York University, and Stony Brook University. Economics major

I'm 21 years old and have been working 40 hours a week for the past two years at UBS Investment Bank as a compliance analyst. I deal with accounting, finance analyzing, due diligence, etc. I got the job while at NYU because I guess they thought I was smart.
I also work as a manager at a top restaurant at nights
and I also created my own start-up company, accuinvestor.com. We deal with market research, trading education, etc. I have created my own derivative trading models based on mathematical equations. This is my reason for an MBA, I want to switch from compliance to derivative trading professionally. We generate income from advertising campaigns and a book that I personally wrote. I've received buyout offers for around 65k for the site from venture capitalists.
On top of all of this, I go to school full-time. So my life is very hectic, and thus the reason for my low GPA and GMAT scores. I clarified this point in the optional essay

1- New Orleans Missions trip
Leader of my group
2- Platoon Commander
Elected position by the Cadre and administration
3- Varsity Lacrosse
Co-Captain
4- Honors Club
Suffolk County C.C.
5- Varsity Lacrosse
Suffolk County C.C.
Co-Captain

Here are some achievements:
Professional Achievements
-Anti-Money Laundering certificate
-Assigned the project leader for 2007 Account audits at UBS Investment Bank North
America. This includes analyzing over 5,000 accounts.
-Platoon Commander of Company 2, Platoon 1
Elected position by the Cadre and the administration
A leader of 56 other students
-Received the National Defense Medal while at the Naval Academy Preparatory School
Publications & Creative Work
-I wrote an investing Polemic on Fundamental Analysis. It is sold on my website,
AccuInvestor.com. Over 300 copies have been sold and I received the Yahoo Finance
Alpha Badge, which is a certification for quantitative knowledge, for the work.
-AccuInvestor.com has top ranked searches by Google, and has over 235 registered
members.
Inventions
-Invented, developed, and copyrighted many unique derivative trading models for the
foreign exchange market. They can be found on my site -
http://www.accuinvestor.com/Covarient-Strategies/
The strategies measure the covariance between two inter-related derivatives to determine
market entry timing. Hence, they are called inverse and covariant trading strategies.
Societies
-Honors Society at Suffolk C.C.
Scholarly Achievements
-Made the Dean’s List two semesters in a row while at Suffolk C.C.
-Made the Dean’s List at Stony Brook University
-Honors credit at Suffolk C.C.
Scholarships
-Received a half-ride academic scholarship through New York University’s CCTOP
program.

Do you think I have a shot considering my age, work experience, leadership roles, gmat and grades? I'm applying to CMU Tepper, Columbia, NYU, Yale, UNC, Darden, and Georgetown.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post!
maolivie

by maolivie Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:08 pm

thank you for your feedback.

so in short, it is more of a impulsive decision for them depending upon their mood at the time? Let's say a school like Columbia and Tepper that thrive on innovation, they will probably accept me because they are more inclined toward innovation, whereas strictly structured academic schools like yale and unc will most likely push my file aside? My number one choice is Tepper, then Columbia, NYU, UNC, then Yale by the way.

Another question, when are the decisions usually mailed? Do they do it on a rolling basis as once they make a decision they send it to you, or are all decisions mailed together at a certain date?

Thanks again
MBA Mission

by MBA Mission Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:58 am

Thanks for your response.

I would not call the decision "impulsive." I think that the AdCom will actually give your file a great deal of consideration. I just think that you will not be part of a relative pool, like bankers and consultant are in an unofficial way. The AdCom will need to say to themselves, "Look at all of this potential. Can we get over this GMAT score and, to a lesser extent, these grades?" My guess is that you won’t be judged on the general feel of your application, but on the answer to these simple questions.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Shinewald
MBA Mission

www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

maolivie Wrote:thank you for your feedback.

so in short, it is more of a impulsive decision for them depending upon their mood at the time? Let's say a school like Columbia and Tepper that thrive on innovation, they will probably accept me because they are more inclined toward innovation, whereas strictly structured academic schools like yale and unc will most likely push my file aside? My number one choice is Tepper, then Columbia, NYU, UNC, then Yale by the way.

Another question, when are the decisions usually mailed? Do they do it on a rolling basis as once they make a decision they send it to you, or are all decisions mailed together at a certain date?

Thanks again