If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
shailesh

my chances for admission

by shailesh Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:58 pm

Hi,
Could you please evaluate my chances for top 5 schools in US. I am looking for 2009 admissions. As I still have some time could you guide me where are the holes. Thanks.

Btech: Aerospace Enginnering
School: Indian Institute of Technology (IIT Bombay)
GPA: 3.6

MS: Pennstate Univ, Aerospace Engg
GPA: 4.0

GMAT 760

Work Ex: 3 years, (~5 years when I apply)

First year as project-leader of automotive engineering consultancy projects
for Mercedes and BMW.

Last two years at GM, R&D at Michigan. Leading a cutting-edge technology project with Stanford University. Soon transferring to Product Development to traing engineers and make sure our developed technology make sizable impact and follow the visioned procedure.

Publications: Overall four main-stream conference publications. One patent.

Extracurricular:
Sports - Cricket, volleyball - One of the founding members of the cricket club at Pennstate. Represented University in Washington league. Currently playing with Troy cricket club at michigan. Represented Hostel at Interhostel volley tournaments.

Cultural:
- Board member for GM Indian employees association.
- Organizer for Canteen team at India's largest college-cultural festival,
Mood-Indigo.
- Best graduating student award, high school

Please let me know if I should provide more info?

Thanks.

by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:25 am

You have a solid profile. However, the biggest issue that I see with your candidacy is that you are not differentiated from others in your demographic, and there is no clear reason why a top school should admit you over others with the same background. If you do not find a way to differentiate yourself, you could have a very tough time with admissions despite strong credentials. Even your extracurricular activity, cricket, is very common for your demographic. Here are a couple of things for you to think about over the next couple of years:
- What are your goals? Your vision for your future can be a good way to set yourself apart if your past activities do not. Come up with a big vision (not just a job) about which you feel passionate and show that passion to the admissions committees.
- Become involved with extracurriculars that reveal a desire to impact your broader community. Become involved to an extent that you can showcase leadership abilities. You can leverage your personal hobbies. For example, coach volleyball to a group of children or teach them about technology. This is a way that you can leverage your personal skills to give back. Or tie community activities to future career goals.
- Think about being a leader in everything you do and about ways that you can demonstrate the all important leadership skills - take on a special project at work, mentor other employees, get involved with recruiting - demonstrate great people skills and an ability to motivate and lead groups of people.
- Take steps to move toward your career goals now to show that you mean what you say! For example if your goals are related to finance, get an internship to show that this is a true goal, and not just lip service. Show progression at work - formal promotions or a significant increase in responsibility.
- If there is a way to become involved as a Penn State alum, you could do this to demonstrate giving back to this institution.

They key is not to have a huge list of activities and accomplishments, but to make sure that whatever you do is of high quality and demonstrates leadership, teamwork, initiative and other qualities that business schools will desire.

Good luck!
Stacy Blackman
Stacy Blackman Consulting

www.stacyblackman.com
shailesh

by shailesh Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:42 pm

thanks alot stacy!

I will keep in mind all the suggestions. I made my first post in a hurry, I am actually involved in couple of things you mentioned..e.g I am functional recruiting leader for General Motor's PennState hiring team. I am part of PennState Alum. In addition to my current job, I am also the intern coordinator.

thanks.
shailesh