The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
NabeelZ316
Students

miserable score :(

by NabeelZ316 Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:10 pm

hey all

so im just coming back from giving my first gmat Test. I got a score of 530 and needless to say I am disappointed.
Here is the breakdown of my score

IR-4
Qaunt-31 ( 20 something percentile) - I already cancelled my score in the 2 minute window so its hard for me to recall exact percentage without verifying it. Is there a way I can still see my score?
Verbal-37 ( 67 percentile ) - Is this a good score for verbal?

Also, I didn't see my AWA score. Will they still send me my AWA score even though I've cancelled my score?

Quant and Verb total = 68
Before posting here, I read some posts where the total verb and quant score was less than mine but the score of 530 was still the same. I'm a bit confused as to how GMAT calculates this score.

Now, about my experience. I studied for GMAT for about 3 months. My strategy was to go through all of the 8 of the MGMAT books first like really dig through them. Once I completed that, started doing random questions from OG16 and OG13. In 3 weeks prior to the test, I mainly did CATs but only the quant sections. My scores were never good. Usually in the range of 30 and 39. But I figured I'd just review the explanations for questions I got wrong and remember those explanations so next time I dont make the same mistakes. Turns out, after doing 3 or 4 CAT's I was still getting a large number of quant questions wrong. However, when I would review the explanations I'd figure, well that was easy and why didn't I see that coming? I figured I just need to be able to learn to identify the pattern of questions quicker. Yeah, that didn't work out on the actual day of the test mainly I think because of time pressure. I remember coming across a few questions and thinkin " Oh I'll be able to decode this question in no time " and 3.5 minutes later, I realize it's just time to pick a random choice and move on.

So yeah that was my experience.
Now for my 2nd attempt, I really want to brush up my study strategy especially for quant section. I feel my quant learning is scattered all over the place and my past strategy of learning random questions' explanations isnt working out. I want an organized strategy where I'm learning everything from beginning till the end.

How do I go about reinventing my quant studying strategy?
DanaM722
Prospective Students

Re: miserable score :(

by DanaM722 Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:26 pm

You can do it. Don't lose heart. This is your first test... keep studying and you'll get there!

Goodluck!!!!
TimR92
Students

by TimR92 Thu May 17, 2018 9:36 pm

DanaM722 Wrote:You can do it. Don't lose heart. This is your first test... keep studying and you'll get there!

Goodluck!!!!

I agree. I got forwarded this article from a friend. Found it helpful as I'm heading towards my second, and hopefully last, attempt in a few weeks

https://www.thismbalife.com/blog/gmat
TreeT618
Forum Guests

by TreeT618 Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:30 am

yes learning from experience and improving is all part and parcel of life. Let's push on!