If you're experiencing a roadblock with one of the Manhattan Prep GMAT math strategy guides, help is here!
cavalli27
Students

MGMAT Strategy Guides - Combinatorics & Probability

by cavalli27 Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:29 am

Hello- I am using all your study materials for the test but wanted to give you some feedback and ask a question.

I think that youre study guides are excellent- the only topics i thought were not explained very well - in keeping mind the questions that follow after those chapters- were Combinatorics and Probability from Guide no. 4. To elaborate further- i understood the material in the chapter on Combinatorics and it did not seem hard given your use of Anagrams. And i could do most questions that followed too but i wish you did not use the Anagrams method so much in the chapter- you should have introduced the formulas on Permutations and combinations and how to differentiate between those (as you do in the advanced section). if you think that the formulas are meant for an advanced user, then why offer alternate solutions (in the non advanced section) with these formulas and point out which is a combination and which is a permutation. It would have made it much easier and methodical from my 1st reading whether somethings a permutation or a combination!

Iv had to read the advanced section and then go back to do certain questions following the non advanced section.

I just didnt think that who ever wrote these materials did not do a good job- sorry but i wanted to give my feedback because i love Mgmat strategy. I only think that these chapters could be explained more methodically.

With this out of the way- i have to ask you a question: if you look at Question 14, Chapter 4 page 76 of guide 4 (gnomes/elves) and the solution ; is this question any different conceptually than the question on page 73 (Greg, Marcia , Bobby ..) Iv understood both but not sure when to use which method which means that i have not clearly understood this just yet.

Can you help?

Thanks a ton again ! Dont mean to be negative with my post but i only have the best interest of our company at heart! :)
RonPurewal
Students

Re: MGMAT Strategy Guides - Combinatorics & Probability

by RonPurewal Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:36 am

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback.

Please read the forum rules"”When you post questions about problems, you must post the entire text of the problem(s). (If there are answer choices, we need those, too.)

Please post the full text of the problems about which you're asking here. Thanks.