Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
akash.kank
Forum Guests

MGMAT SC PRONOUN/MODIFIERS DOUBT

by akash.kank Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:34 pm

I have been using the MGMAT SC guide to prepare for my upcoming GMAT exam next month.
Whilst studying from the guide, I came across a couple of doubts.I have yet to complete the whole guide(so I apologise in advance in case my doubts are answered later on in the book itself).

1. Chapter 5, Pronouns: "Also, do not use that or those in place of nouns, unless you modify that or those to make them New copies."

Going by this rule, would the following Sentence be wrong:
"The late 80's saw the fish market boom and those were the years when for the first time,the ports were filled with new varieties of fish."
I might be wrong, but doesn't the "those" here refer to the same period in time rather than making a new copy?

2.Chapter 6, Modifiers:
"An Adjective modifies only a noun or a pronoun,..."

Would the following sentence be wrong:
"The way he tackled the situation was brilliant."

Does "brilliant here modify the verb "tackle" or the noun "the way"?

Perhaps, "He tackled the situation brilliantly" would be better because of the adverb usage, but does the GMAT accept the former sentence as well?

Thanks in advance!
smitakumar.s
Students

Re: MGMAT SC PRONOUN/MODIFIERS DOUBT

by smitakumar.s Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:10 am

Hi Akash,

Regarding #2)
The way he tackled the situation was brilliant is also correct. It is the passive voice compared to the active one (he tackled the situation brilliantly).
In the first case, the adjective 'brilliant' modifies the noun 'the way'. It is linked via the linking verb Was. (Only adjectives follow linking verbs)

Regards,
Smita
akash.kank
Forum Guests

by akash.kank Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:55 am

Thanks Smita!
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:25 pm

I'll second that- thanks, Smita!