Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
rishisbook
Students

MGMAT CAT CR ASSUMPTION 3

by rishisbook Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:39 am

Antoine: The alarming fact is that among children aged 19 years and younger, the number taking antipsychotic medicines soared 73 percent in the last four years. That is greater than the increase in the number of adults taking antipsychotic medicines during the same period.

Lucy: But the use of antipsychotic drugs by adults is considered normal at the current rate of 11 adults per 1,000 taking the drugs. In contrast, the number of children on antipsychotic medication last year was 6.6 per 1,000 children.

Lucy’s argument relies on the assumption that ______.
A. normal levels of antipsychotic drug use are rarely exceeded.
B. the percentage of adults taking antipsychotic medication is always higher than the percentage of children on such medication.
C. the use of antipsychotic medication in children is no different from the use of such medications in adults.
D. Antoine is not consciously distorting the statistics he presents.
E. a rapid increase in the number of children taking antipsychotic drugs generates more fear of random violence by adolescents than does knowledge of the absolute number of children on such medications.

Confused between B & C. Correct Answer C
tim
Course Students

Re: MGMAT CAT CR ASSUMPTION 3

by tim Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:08 pm

tell us more about what was inadequate about the explanation so we can help explain it in a way that will work for you..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
jp.jprasanna
Students

by jp.jprasanna Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:46 am

tim Wrote:tell us more about what was inadequate about the explanation so we can help explain it in a way that will work for you..

Hi - By using the word "but" in Lucy's argument i understand she is going to counter the Antoine's argument but cant understand how Lucy's argument is structured? I understand she is saying 11/1000 adults is normal and after that the word "In contrast" - does this mean the 6.6/1000 is abnormal?

Could you also help me eliminate the other options as well.. please very very confused and worried! :-(
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:14 pm

Lucy is contrasting Antoine's claim that this statistic is alarming by pointing out that even with the increased rate among children their usage is still less than that of adults. Thus the statistic is not as alarming as Antoine seems to think..

I'm sorry to hear you're worried about this one. You should try not to be worried about questions; just work on understanding why the right answer is right and why all the wrong answers are wrong. I'll be glad to help you work through your concerns about the wrong answers if you can tell me what didn't make sense to you about the way the solution to the problem dealt with the incorrect answers..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
sachin.w
Forum Guests

by sachin.w Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:49 am

Hi Tim

I understand the following:
Lucy is contrasting Antoine's claim that this statistic is alarming by pointing out that even with the increased rate among children their usage is still less than that of adults. Thus the statistic is not as alarming as Antoine seems to think..

but I dont understand why C is right.

negating C doesn't help rip the conclusion apart.
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:55 pm

sure it does. if there is some fundamental difference between children and adults in this context, then Lucy's implication that the numbers indicate no cause for alarm is not valid..
Tim Sanders

sachin.w
Forum Guests

by sachin.w Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks a lot Tim. This helps.
What would be the level of this Question?

Regards,
Sach
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:06 pm

i've found that the answers to this type of question are almost never useful in preparing someone for the GMAT, so i'll decline to provide a guess as to difficulty level unless you can tell us how you will use that information to better prepare yourself for the GMAT.. :)
Tim Sanders

sachin.w
Forum Guests

by sachin.w Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:04 pm

I solved around 85 assumption questions over this week to perfect the art of negating.

and this was one of the most difficult questions I came across. . could get answers right for almost all Qs except a few.
so was wondering if this is the type of Qs you see on a 750+ level

:)

--Sach
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:20 pm

you did not address my concern..
Tim Sanders

sachin.w
Forum Guests

by sachin.w Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:24 pm

I am a rookie and I don't have an answer for that. May be it won't help me.
May be you could guide me whether I should or should not worry about these things.
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:37 pm

you shouldn't. :) thanks for being receptive to such advice; you will find that having an open mind about what to concentrate on will help you be far more productive in your studying..
Tim Sanders

winson.j.liu
Students

by winson.j.liu Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:02 pm

I don't completely grasp the answer still. What category of assumption is this? By saying that there's no difference between adult use and children use, is it eliminating an alternate path or an alternate cause or something else? I can't quite see it.
tim
Course Students

by tim Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:04 am

assumptions problems in general boil down to logic gaps. this particular logic gap isn't one we make a big deal of in our book, but it involves erroneously conflating one group with another. we can't make comparisons between children and adults here unless we are told that it is valid to do so..
Tim Sanders

ShobhitK282
Students

by ShobhitK282 Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:46 am

Hi,

I'm a little confused on this problem. For assumptions, we are supposed to bridge the gap between premise and conclusion. Here Lucy is giving a counter premise but I don't clearly understand if there's a conclusion there which I can look to validate?

Please let me know if I'm missing very basic here.