If you're experiencing a roadblock with one of the Manhattan Prep GMAT math strategy guides, help is here!
leighton.d.powell
Forum Guests

MGMAT Advanced Quant - Ch 4, In Action Q 13 (Pg 124)

by leighton.d.powell Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:00 pm

Is (a-k)/(b-k)>(a+k)/(b+k)?

(1) a>b>k

(2) k>0

The correct answer is C, but I'm not sure how they arrived there. I know that with inequalities with variable expressions, if you don't know the sign of the variables, you must consider both a positive and negative case.

The answer explanation considers the following cases:

1) If (b-k)/(b+k)>0
2) If (b-k)/(b+k)<0

I actually don't understand why they've done this or their explanation in general. Can someone please help?

Thanks!
tim
Course Students

Re: MGMAT Advanced Quant - Ch 4, In Action Q 13 (Pg 124)

by tim Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:58 am

How much were you able to do on your own with this one? The reason I ask is that the explanation I could offer depends heavily on whether you were able to eliminate 1 and 2 alone. In other words, do you just need an explanation of why they work together, or do you need help understanding why each statement is insufficient on its own?
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
leighton.d.powell
Forum Guests

by leighton.d.powell Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi Tim,

Since posting this question, I've revisited it and figured out the answer. What was tripping me up was the fact that I'm used to seeing a single variable on one side in the the denominator of such inequalities:

Eg. Is x<y?

(1) x/y<1

For this statement, if y>0, we have x<y, but if y<0, we have x>y.

I wasn't used seeing variable expressions in both denominators on both sides of the inequality. Now I know if that's the case, I must consider whether the product of the two variable expressions in the denominators are greater than zero or less than zero. Is that correct?

Thanks!
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:06 pm

Not only that, but you have to consider any information you know about the two variables separately, specifically as it relates to positive/negative issues..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
leighton.d.powell
Forum Guests

by leighton.d.powell Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:56 am

What do you mean by that? Do you mean, for example, if one variable is greater than the other and the possible effects that may have on the positive/negative issues?
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:46 am

that, among other things. i'm not going to list them, because the point i'm trying to make is that rather than memorizing a list of scenarios and exceptions you really just need to be careful and think your way through problem without assuming something that might be a trap. you'll figure out with experience which situations call for extra caution; until then, assume they all do..
Tim Sanders

jonvindjohnsen
Forum Guests

by jonvindjohnsen Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:41 pm

I have a question regarding this question. I tried plugging in numbers so they satisfy both statements and then PI the question stem.

And for this PI I found a case where C is insufficient:

3>2>1/2 , so, we get --> 5/3>9/5

Is this approach wrong? If not, where did I go wrong?

Thanks.
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:03 am

your math is incorrect. when it became clear that you had the wrong answer, that should have been the first thing you checked..
Tim Sanders

jonvindjohnsen
Forum Guests

by jonvindjohnsen Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:48 am

tim Wrote:your math is incorrect. when it became clear that you had the wrong answer, that should have been the first thing you checked..

I knew my math was wrong, but couldn't figure out where until I had another look today. --> 5/3 > 7/5 .
As for my other question, plugging in is a valid approach for these kind of problems? And I'm wondering if we actually have to check pos. non-integers as well because of the constraint: a>b>c>0 ?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:35 pm

jonvindjohnsen Wrote:
tim Wrote:your math is incorrect. when it became clear that you had the wrong answer, that should have been the first thing you checked..

I knew my math was wrong, but couldn't figure out where until I had another look today. --> 5/3 > 7/5 .
As for my other question, plugging in is a valid approach for these kind of problems? And I'm wondering if we actually have to check pos. non-integers as well because of the constraint: a>b>c>0 ?

Glad that you figured things out!

Yes, plugging works for this type of problem. Given the constraints, it's smart to try fractions for your variables, just to get a look at all the possibilities.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor