If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
MarcF498
Students

MBA with two prior Masters Degrees?

by MarcF498 Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:39 am

Hey there!

I already have one Masters Degree, and found another very interesting 1-year Masters Degree which I might apply for. However, I definitely want to do an MBA in a few years and have already made preferred school selections (e.g. IESE, ESADE, HEC Paris) based on my 690 GMAT and some other things.

It is an international Business Programme with a particular focus on Strategy and Innovation at Maastricht University (Netherlands). My previous education is legal education, although I have really become interested in the field of business (hence my interest in an MBA). However, I have been struggling to find a decent job placement in the business sector.

The courses offered in the IB Programme are really interesting (I would genuinely enjoy studying the materials), and many of the companies and consulting firms I would be interested in are associated with the University's recruiting programme. I do not intend to do this Master in order to improve my chances for the MBA itself, but I feel that by doing this Master I enhance my chances of finding my preferred job placements that would actually provide me with the kind of interesting work experience desired by MBA schools.

However, this would mean that the MBA would become my third Masters Degree. Like I wouldn't be able let go of being student or something. Would that have any negative repercussions on my MBA application? Perhaps the AdComs see my profile and think "He has studied enough, let's choose someone else", etc?

Any advice or opinions would be highly appreciated!

Thank you and all the best,
Marc
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: MBA with two prior Masters Degrees?

by mbaMissionKate Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:19 pm

Hello!
I don't think having two Master's Degrees will automatically rule you out or anything. I have worked with clients in the past who have had other Master's degrees and it has not been an issue, especially if they used a previous Master's to make a career transition and gain business experience. I also think full-time MBA programs will totally understand the difference between a full MBA and a 1-year Master's like the one you mentioned. So I think you should be considering a few things....

1) Do some research on the job placement rates of the Master's program you are considering. If the rates are high, and the post-degree jobs are interesting to you and ones you cannot get now, then it may be a great move for you at this point.
2) Consider the timing of when you apply to MBA programs. You say a "few" years so I'm not sure exactly what you had in mind. Personally I think if you do the 1-year Master's you should then have at least 1 year (or even ideally 2 years) of work experience after that before you apply to MBA programs. I think that will help avoid the "this guy just really likes school" concern. :)
3) When it comes time, you'll definitely need to make a strong case for why you need an MBA and how it will help you along your career path. It depends but I might caution you against saying you are using the MBA to make a big career change when it comes time, and rather frame up the MBA as a way for you to advance as a leader and continue along the trajectory. Of course this depends on how the next few years ago, but I think this kind of "angle" will also help to avoid that potential perception of lacking focus.

Hope this helps, and certainly keep us posted if we can help with anything else!

MarcF498 Wrote:Hey there!

I already have one Masters Degree, and found another very interesting 1-year Masters Degree which I might apply for. However, I definitely want to do an MBA in a few years and have already made preferred school selections (e.g. IESE, ESADE, HEC Paris) based on my 690 GMAT and some other things.

It is an international Business Programme with a particular focus on Strategy and Innovation at Maastricht University (Netherlands). My previous education is legal education, although I have really become interested in the field of business (hence my interest in an MBA). However, I have been struggling to find a decent job placement in the business sector.

The courses offered in the IB Programme are really interesting (I would genuinely enjoy studying the materials), and many of the companies and consulting firms I would be interested in are associated with the University's recruiting programme. I do not intend to do this Master in order to improve my chances for the MBA itself, but I feel that by doing this Master I enhance my chances of finding my preferred job placements that would actually provide me with the kind of interesting work experience desired by MBA schools.

However, this would mean that the MBA would become my third Masters Degree. Like I wouldn't be able let go of being student or something. Would that have any negative repercussions on my MBA application? Perhaps the AdComs see my profile and think "He has studied enough, let's choose someone else", etc?

Any advice or opinions would be highly appreciated!

Thank you and all the best,
Marc
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
MarcF498
Students

by MarcF498 Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:38 pm

That does indeed help, and I feel more comfortable with this issue.

Thank you very much!
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:36 pm

Good, happy to help! Good luck :)
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
BrianB836
Forum Guests

by BrianB836 Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:34 pm

Education is the need of this world, simple to the topic for best and proper education we must develop a system, first. The Best Online Writing Service is mostly groomed in the higher educational institutes, universities. This is a new university promoting education.