If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
StevenZ219
Forum Guests

MBA Profile Evaluation for a Confused Guy

by StevenZ219 Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:00 pm

Hi. I hope to get a review on my profile and some suggestions on adding my possibility of being admitted.

Stats:
Sex: M
Undergraduate GPA: 2.65
Undergraduate Major/Degree: B.Eng, Information Management and Information Systems (similar to Management Information Systems in the U.S.)
Undergraduate School: Renmin University of China
Graduate Education (uncompleted): MS Finance at Purdue Krannert
GMAT: 750, V39 Q51 IR 8 AWA 5.5

Experience:
No full-time experience, but have an 8-month experience in BMO Beijing as a corporate banking intern. CFA I expected to be completed this December.

Social Activities/Societies:
Graphic design volunteer in Beijing LGBT Center for about a year.
Worked as vice president of Sex Gender Study Group.

Target Schools:
Northwestern Kellogg, Duke Fuqua, MIT Sloan or others (uncertain)

Post MBA Target:
I hope to make a shift in my concentration to business/finance. In the future, I hope to build my own study abroad consulting company, helping people who faced same difficulties in shifting and LGBT students in China.

Questions/Concerns
I think my undergraduate GPA will be a big issue and I will explain it. Since I am not determined that I would apply in the coming year, is it necessary to get more full-time experience? Do you have any recommended schools for me currently?

Thanks.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: MBA Profile Evaluation for a Confused Guy

by mbamissionjenK Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your post and congrats on the great GMAT score!

Yes I would say you have 2 large negative factors you are facing right now..... 1) lack of experience, and 2) GPA, especially if that is comparative to a 2.65 in the US. As you may know, top schools prefer incoming students to have work experience (full-time, post-undergrad) in order to bring with them stories and experiences so that everyone can share and learn from one another, plus have a frame of reference for case studies and topics discussed. The average accepted applicant often has 5 years full-time when starting at top schools. It would be nearly impossible to get in presently with the lack of experience AND the gpa challenges, at top 20 schools, such as those you've mentioned. I would highly recommend working for a couple of years first, which will also help you gain a better feel for your next career steps which is ALSO important on MBA applications, and possibly taking a couple of university courses in relevant areas to help show that your academic ability and study habits etc.

Sorry as that may not be what you wanted to hear!! But I think you could get into much more reputable programs if you worked on those areas and got some experience first. ;) If you are very focused on applying now, perhaps look outside the top 25/30 or so for better chances.
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php