Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
Gui
Course Students

Manhattan CAT 4 - RC Passage - Question 2

by Gui Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:27 pm

Manhattan CAT 4 - RC Passage - Question 2

Items that seem unremarkable today might once have altered the course of history. For centuries, the nutmeg tree grew only in the Banda Islands, a small chain in the southwest Pacific. Locals harvested the aromatic nuts of the tree and sold them to traders. Eventually, a spice made from these nuts became a luxury item in the European market, via Venetian merchants. Seeking a monopoly over this valuable spice, the Dutch attacked the Banda Islands, subjugating the native people in a mostly successful attempt to control the trade.
However, one island in the Banda chain remained in the hands of the British and was the object of much conflict between the Netherlands and England. After many battles, the British offered to cede control of the island in exchange for New Amsterdam, a Dutch outpost on the east coast of North America. Inveterate traders, the Dutch were more interested in the spice trade than in the small outpost of New Amsterdam. In 1667, the Treaty of Breda gave the Dutch complete control of the Banda Islands, and thus of the nutmeg trade, and gave the British New Amsterdam, which they promptly renamed New York. Today, nutmeg trees can be found in many countries and no one company or country has a monopoly on the trade.

For what purpose does the author include the second paragraph?
A) It offers specific information to complete the logic of the author's claims.
B) It summarizes and evaluates the evidence given thus far.
C) It presents the author's main point to explain a unique situation.
D) It cites a particular case to demonstrate the importance of historical change.
E) It discusses the necessary outcome of the author's assertions.

OA: A

Question: I did not choose A because of the plural noun "claims". In my point if view there is only one claim: "Items that seem unremarkable today might once have altered the course of history...". Even the explanation of this answer choice mentions "the claim" : (A) CORRECT. The second paragraph offers specific information – namely, the role that nutmeg played in the history of New York – to support the claim that seemingly unremarkable items can alter the course of history. So, shouldn't alternative A mention "autor's claim" instead of "author's claims" ?!

Tks!!!
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Manhattan CAT 4 - RC Passage - Question 2

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:21 pm

Good point. Conceivably the other parts of the first paragraph could be described as claims, but I admit that's a stretch. I've taken a look at this problem and will consult with my colleagues.